Shift Rod- What am I missing???

Marz-Bar

Seaman
Installed new water pump on my 2002 90hp Johnson, (3rd time) bolted lower unit in place, slid linkage back on shift rod. Shift into forward and reverse, lower unit in neutral each time. Dropped lower unit to make sure shift rod is facing front, it was, bolted up lower unit, same thing. What am I missing?

mark1961

Ensign
Re: Shift Rod- What am I missing???

Did you have control lever and lower unit in reverse during assembly?

mark1961

Ensign

No. Had them both in neutral.

Not sure about your 02 model motor (my manual doesnt cover it) but both being in reverse just makes assembly easier.

When you are trying to engage gears does the control lever travel seem normal? Could be something as simple as the dogs not aligning, they line up much easier when the motor is running.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Should go back together the way it came apart.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't have to be in any particular position. Once the linkage is reconnected it should work fine as long as the clevis is indeed getting into the shift rod and the shift rod was set at the right height before installing.

Once the linkage is back in the shift rod and the control cable is off & out of the way you should feel a definate click as it goes into and out of gear. If you're trying to shift it without the motor running, make sure to spin the prop as you shift.

Marz-Bar

Seaman

Took it apart in neutral, put it back together in neutral, doesnt seem to make sense to me. I have a Johnson manual, doesn't cover assembly.

mark1961

Ensign

As Dhadley said, are you sure the shift rod was between the clevis before you put the shift rod bolt back in?

Marz-Bar

Seaman

Just pulled the lower unit off again, the shift rod was turned 90 degrees.
I guess my next question is how do you keep the shift rod straight as you raise the lower unit into place, and how do you tell that it is in the correct position once the lower unit is bolted up? On my engine I cant see the top end of the shift rod when the lower unit is bolted up.

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just went through this nightmare with my 1998 V4 115, which (if yours is a 60-degree) should be the same mechanical design as your 90hp.

It is almost impossible to keep the shift rod from turning as you reinstall the lower unit. And even if you do, the linkage pin may not line up perfectly with the shift rod hole, even if both are in the same gear (I'm talking about a slight fore-aft misalignment, not shift rod height).

I had to remove the Port side lower cover - that frees up some space to get your fingers in to position the shift rod so everything lines up. It's a bit of a pain to remove the lower cover, but it's nothing compared to the trial and error involved in dealing with a misaligned shift rod.

mark1961

Ensign

Just pulled the lower unit off again, the shift rod was turned 90 degrees.
I guess my next question is how do you keep the shift rod straight as you raise the lower unit into place, and how do you tell that it is in the correct position once the lower unit is bolted up? On my engine I cant see the top end of the shift rod when the lower unit is bolted up.

Did you set the shift rod height before assembly, you only need to worry about this if it was removed for some reason or turned by mistake?

When both are in reverse does it make it any easier to see the shift rod and clevis?

Yes, not easy to keep that shift rod aligned, can you tell which way its turning as its raised up? Start it off a little misaligned, that might work. Otherwise, a small mirror and torch with a buddy to assist maybe or trial and error.

Marz-Bar

Seaman

Mark1961: Didn't change the height of the shift rod. Doesn't help if both are in reverse, and would need a very small mirror, might help if I took both side engine covers off.

ChrisAG: I think I will try pulling the lower cover off. Sounds like the easiest way to get this job done.

Cant beleive the first two times I did this water pump job, everything fell back in place. Just lucky I guess.

mark1961

Ensign

Mark1961: Didn't change the height of the shift rod. Doesn't help if both are in reverse, and would need a very small mirror, might help if I took both side engine covers off.

Cant beleive the first two times I did this water pump job, everything fell back in place. Just lucky I guess.

How about starting the shift rod off a little misaligned in the opposite direction to the way its turning as its raised up, do you think that might work?

Marz-Bar

Seaman

Never again will I do this job without removing the port side engine cover. Two minites off, Two minites on, could have saved me at least a half hour, if not more. Once removed, you can see the shift rod and linkage pin.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just make darn sure the shift rod height was set before it went back on. It doesn't matter if you think you moved it or not, always check.