Control Box Stiff? How yours?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Hey fellow boaters,

1989 Larson All American 190 dc I/O

My control box is starting to get very stick, I asked the mechanic about it last year to see if I needed new cables since it was very hard to push and pull forward and back. He told me that the box was bad and the plates inside we grinding.

My Questions:

Could the cables be bad to? dont trust the mechanic that much lol but who does. And is there any way to check?

Also how hard is it to replace one of theses boxes? Mine kinda like the box in the pic that I found on iboats. It also has the trim witch on the handle.

Let me know what you guys think and how big of a project im getting into replacing one of theses things? And is there any things I should know in advance.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Control Box Stiff? How yours?

Any pics, diagrams or instructions would be awesome!

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You'll need to post a little more info like the type of control you have and a photo maybe so people know what you are working with. In the adults only sticky there are manuals fo several types of Merc control boxes.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

You'll need to post a little more info like the type of control you have and a photo maybe so people know what you are working with. In the adults only sticky there are manuals fo several types of Merc control boxes.

No sure what kind of control box it is but heres a pic of what it kinda looks like it has the the trims switches on it as well as the trailer up button.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Did you ask your "knowledgeable neighbor" or did he move away?????

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Did you ask your "knowledgeable neighbor" or did he move away?????[/QUOTE

Lol he has been on vacation for the past week in FL Should be back next week but was looking to find out alittle bit of information first.

The throttle box is stiff with pulling it forward and in reverase was wondering if theres anyway to check and see if its the cable or the box cuz the mech that told me the box was bad I dont really trust. And how big of a project is this?