want to put a 4-6 hp

bassfisher112

Recruit
hey everyone..i just bought my first jon. its a tracker 1232. it says its rated for a 3hp. would this push me(170) gear and a friend( about 180) at an ok pace? im not expecting to go as fast as my jet ski but the 40# trolling just aint cutting it across 4 lakes haha. i would really like to put an older 2 stroke 6 or 4. what would ya'll recomend? it's only rated for a 3 so is there any transom mods i can to to strenghten it for a little more hp?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: want to put a 4-6 hp

Howdy, bassfisher.

Welcome to iboats. :)

I would recommend a 3HP outboard. JohnnyRude 3s from the 60s and 70s are precious jewels.

There are no mods that would make that boat safe for overpowering. That is a very delicate boat intended for slow speeds and small loads.

A second option is to go get a boat rated for more HP.

If you ask enough people for "permission" to overpower you will find people who have nothing to lose, but no responsible boater would say go ahead.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've got a semi-V 12 footer and I can do about 7mph with my '55 5.5hp Johnson. Like you said, it's quicker than my Minn Kota(30lb).

Doesn't plane with two guys and fishing gear but gets you where ya need to be a bit quicker. Like if it starts raining.

If that rig is rated for 3 then it must have pretty low sides. Mine's rated for 7.5 and it's about as small and lightweight as 12ft tinnies come.

bassfisher112

Recruit

alright thanks for the help. yea it's a small boat haha but i only have a ford ranger and needed something to fit between the wheel wells because i have no where to store a trailer. but it gets the job done. the main reason i want a gas motor is obviously the little more speed and also distance.

so you guys think a older 3.5 2 stroke would be good ?

bassfisher112

Recruit

oh yea also are those older engines easy to fix? im good with fixin stuff but have never seen the inside of an outboard.

Huron Angler

Admiral

The 2-stroke 3hp Johnson/Evinrudes that JB referred to are great motors and fairly easy to work on. I would take his advice, my 5.5hp is similar being a small twin cylinder OMC. I love mine and it is VERY reliable.

iboats has a great deal of information so if you can find one for a good deal that may need a little work you are in the right place.