Pontoon vs Center console fishing rig.

xxlurchxx

Seaman Apprentice
Alright, I wanted a fishing rig with a center console for fishing, but the family loves the water too. Can you manuver a pontoon enough to use it for bass and maybe trolling? A pontoon seems to offer the best value as far as a pleasure craft. My kids like tubing and will probaly want to water ski as they are just below teen age.
Any suggestions for the best rig for these dual purposes?

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pontoon vs Center console fishing rig.

I have a '24 Starcraft Starfish ( fishing layout ) pontoon. The main motor is a 115 mercury and the trolling motor is a mercury 9.9 4 stroke. Up front I have a 55 lb minn kota 12V electric trolling motor.

I have down riggers set up on the back ( hence the 9.9 four stroke ) which will be used starting this weekend trolling for pike in Ontario Canada. (here)
On the weedbeds we use the electric trolling motor. Now if it's real windy, I don't get too close to "hard" edges since I really should have a bigger trolling motor.

I love everything about my pontoon except the top speed. Mid 20s wound tight but with the full enclosure, we can fish during downpours and stay dry.

cuzzx

Seaman

I had a 18ft pontoon with a 75 evinrude, it worked great for one skier or two on a tub. I now have a 20ft with a 75 that I use to fish off of. Kids grown and gone.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Not sure what part of the country you're in, but you might consider an aluminum deck boat. Several manufactures make them; Lowe, Princecraft, Tracker, and SeaArk come to mind immediately. Used ones aren't as easy to find as pontoons but they're out there, at least where I live. They are typically set up with a barge-style lounging area in the back 2/3 of the boat and a casting deck type area on the front with swivel seats and a trolling motor. Most have a Bimini top. They will easily meet your tubing and skiing needs, but the ride won't be as smooth or as dry as a pontoon or fiberglass boat since they are basically giant flatbottoms or mod Vs. Just a thought:).

xxlurchxx

Seaman Apprentice

We have a place on Lake Norman, and I also like to fish in New Jersy fro Stripers in the summer.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

It's funny you should post today, because I just saw this on CL. Not suggesting you get one like this, in fact it's overpriced, but this is an example of what I was talking about.
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/1750419637.html
It's basically a giant flat bottom, so I'm not sure how well it would perform off New Jersey. They're very safe, but they can be a wet ride. Someone else would have to chime in on that. Pretty neat and versatile rigs though.