Water Pump Replacement.....

JWScarab

Cadet
Hi All,

Getting my new (1992 - new to me) pontoon summer ready! Replaced the water pump over the weekend. 1994 Evinrude 48hpSPL. I used a OEM manual but it said to use gasket sealer. I didnt have gasket sealer and I sure dont remember using it on my i/o's years ago.

I used tripleguard grease in 3 places: to hold the long oring to the plastic housing, impeller tips/i.d. of cup, and to hold the key to the shaft, but besides that put her together dry. It this all OK or did I mess up?

I did look thru the detailed thread and noticed he had grease all over the oring.

It seems to pump great (old impeller looked great I regretfully must say - but I replaced anyway), it pumped great before too, but I just wanted to start ownership with fresh maintenance.

Thanks!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Pump Replacement.....

If you want to do it by the book, the thumbnail shows the installation chart from an OE kit showing where to use lubricants and sealers

Note that 3M Scotchgrip 847 is normally used where Adhesive M was listed.

Attachments

• 5001595 5001594_3.jpg
    5001595 5001594_3.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0

JWScarab

Cadet

My manual was a little different, but this is interesting. I am sure it went back together ok, all in order and nothing has moved. But do you think the lack of gasket adhesive on the gasket or between the cup/housing, and the lack of a full oring coating/covering means I should tear apart and redo??

BTW, I did use an OE water pump kit from the dealer and it had absolutly no adhesives or lubes in the $70 kit. Figures!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's probably just fine. BTW adhesives and lubes are never in a water pump kit. The adhesive is used to keep the seal from moving during assembly. Your grease probably did the same.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The chart is from the kit; the lubes and sealants are up to the installer.