is this prop good for me?

Russell PTA

Cadet
hi all,

i took the boat out for the 2nd time today, and the prop hit bottom and broke a blade off. i have done some looking around and i found this one:

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me.../1143/?**********=782840288&*******=816007699

is this a good brand and fit to my boat? here are my specs:

1) i have no performance issue im trying to correct, i just want to get one that suits my boat and driving style.
2)&3) my current prop is the stock prop that came with my boat, it is an aluminum 14 inch 23 pitch 3 blade.
4) i am not sure of the wot speed since i have only had it out twice and both times it was a bit choppy.
5) i have a mercruiser 4.3 190hp 2006 with an alpha 1 outdrive 1:81 gear ratio.
6) the boat is a bayliner 185 bowrider, 2006, 18 foot (2300 pounds?)

the general uses of the boat are water skiing, tubing, fishing, and just cruising around. i want a good hole shot, but i still like to have some top speed. i figured the 4 blade 20 pitch in the link is good but i just wanted some input before i got it.

thanks in advance,
russell

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: is this prop good for me?

We really can't give you GOOD advice without some WOT numbers, but I would GUESS that the 23" you have now is probably good for cruising, but not so much for your tubing and skiing. Also, that current prop is probably one of the worst ones out there so as long as you get the pitch right, pretty much anything will be an improvement.

As for you specific choice above - It should provide really good hole shot, and unless your current prop puts you at the very bottom of your WOT rating, you may have to watch the tach to keep from over reving.

Russell PTA

Cadet

ok, thanks for that advise. i did go ahead and order it. if its not "perfect" i can always get a new one next year. i just have some friends coming this weekend to go boating and i needed something fast.

i also ordered some smart tabs. i have read nothing but good things.

EDIT: i will also check my WOT RPMs and get back with ya.

Russell PTA

Cadet

ok so i took it out to the lake today with the new 4 blade 20 pitch prop. WOT rpms were 4800, which i quickly backed off from. we reached a top speed of 48mph. i am pretty happy with this new prop. i will just make sure that i dont let the rpms get that high.

my only trouble now is my bow rise. i ordered some smart tabs SX in 80 pound. i went to install them today, and the package was missing the hinge pins, and also one of the hinges didnt have the hole drilled for the pin to go through. i am going to call them monday morning and ask for another set.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

48 at 4800 sounds pretty good to me. How was your holeshot?

Definitely call nauticus about your missing parts, they will set it right.

Russell PTA

Cadet

hole shot is faster. im sure the tabs will help a lot too. i called them and they are sending the parts free of charge. they were very helpful on the phone.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Tabs will help,

Eventually I'll get mine installed :confused:

Russell PTA

Cadet

is it the time or the thought of drilling 16 holes in your boat :eek:

i can install the one on the same side as my transducer. that way i can make sure there is no problem there. then when the parts come in i can do the other one.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The holes are the easy part. I want to strip the bottom paint there so I have a good clean surface to mount to.

I just look at them and "...or we could just go out today, and do the tabs later..."

Russell PTA

Cadet

sorry for getting back so late. i've been out boating :D

i got the smart tabs parts in, and installed them without any trouble. all i can say is WOW. my bow barely rises, and i never have to get out of my seat to see over the front. my top speed dropped 2mph, so i probably need to adjust from the center position to the lighter one.

thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

russell