1981 Johnson 115 Ignition problem

wayne869

Cadet
I have a 81 Johnson 115 that runs good at idle but will not go above 22 - 2500 rpms. I have checked the cable and it gets WOT, pressing the choke at WOT does not effect the rpm's so I don't think it is starving for fuel. I have 115 PSI of compression on all cylinders. I have changed the water seperator and fuel filter. And the bulb stays hard while running. I have a service manual and when going through the ignition diag. I have found the following things.

1) Checking the Ohms on the Sensor Coil between terminal A on the starboard side and Terminal A on the port side has no resistance. The manual says it should be infinate.

2) Checking the Sensor Coil output I have .1 VAC and the manual says it should be .5

3) Checking the Charge Coil output I have 128 VAC and 111 VAC and the manual says I should have 160 VAC or more.

My question is do I have a bad Sensor Coil AND Charge Coil? It seems I do but would it still run if I did? And would that explain my symtoms? These 2 parts are expensive and I don't want to just start replacing stuff that don't need to be.

Thanks!!

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1981 Johnson 115 Ignition problem

Run motor (with a helper on a lake) to where problem appears.
Remove plug wires one at a time (use insulated pliers) to see if cylinders are firing. You should see\hear spark.
If you still can't tell remove air silencer cover and manually choke carbs to see if that helps.
Wayne

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

P.S. I think your motor has 2 power packs on it...if you find one side dead switch the packs to see if problem switches.
Wayne

wayne869

Cadet

I checked fire on all four cylinders and they have fire, it engine runs good like I say with no misses on idle or @ 2500 rpm, it just runs as though I am at 1/3 trottle although I have had the air foil off to make sure it gets WOT.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

make sure throttles are opening wide (flat at wot)
look down throats and compare fuel spray
try adding some fuel (gas down throats) to see if motor picks up or looses power
check timing
does squeezing primer bulb help??
Wayne

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the spark lever is moving the timer base to full advance when the throttle is moved to full forward.