Swim platform/ladder - make boat lean?

FFDave

Cadet
Hey guys,
I have been reading and searching around, and have not quite gotten the answer ive been looking for.
I have a 1988 glasstream 182 caravelle, with a 3.0 mercruiser.
Boat is real nice and runs great, at throttle ( mostly WOT ) the boat will list, or lean, to the left. When i trim up some, the boat will straighten out pretty well. I have read alot that trimming up will help the boat straighten out, so that worked for me pretty well. But something i was thinking about - i have a swim ladder/platform on the left side of the transom, could that be affecting anything on the boat, like the way rides? Because theres still a little lean under throttle.

Thanks!

Dave

cr2k

Captain
Re: Swim platform/ladder - make boat lean?

It is common for boat with deeper V hulls to list to Port (left). Mostly caused by the torque from the propeller. That's what trim tabs are for.

You can try to counter (other then trim) by placing heaver objects on the Starboard (right) side of the boat such as ice chests.

BTW where do you fight the demon?

Craig (Retired Cal Fire)

FFDave

Cadet

Craig,

Thanks for the response.

Im a firefighter in Wisconsin, ( just west of milwaukee )

Its good to know we have some firefighters in here.

One more thing - will that swim platform/ladder affect anything like a trim tab will? Im just trying to square everything away, thats all.

Dave

MRS

Commander

Does the ladder fold up under the swim platform or just hang down, if folds up should not be a problem if hangs down could be....

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm with MRS, if it's not in the water, then the only affect is weight. Smaller boats are affected a lot by weight shifts for and aft as well as port to starboard. Best thing to do is experiment with movable things first. If you find combos that work, then you can consider moving fixed heavy things like batteries . . . ;)

FFDave

Cadet

I hear what you guys are saying,
Im sorry, i should have been more specific.
The ladder has a platform that sits flush in the water. the platform part is probably a half inch under water evenly.
The step portion does fold up ontop of the platform.

I was thinking of trim tabs?

Dave

MRS

Commander

That would be a excellent idea I am putting tabs on mine this month.:D I am leaving to Havasu this wednesday did not have time to put tabs on before but will put on as soon as I get back.....
Plus what QC said is true, even out the weight makes a heck of a difference in handeling on the boat...

Last edited:

FFDave

Cadet

What affect will the tabs give me?
I know i can search it, but since we're talking about tabs...

Dave

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

http://www.iboats.com/SX-Smart-Tabs...5766832--**********.683428323--view_id.352487

Thats what i was thinking. ^

Are those automatic ones any good though?
Seems to have good reviews

Dave

I am convinced enough to make plans to buy a set for my boat. I even called Nauticus and had a brief discussion with them about my specific boats needs and the tab options. Read dozens of reviews on iboats, and not one was negative (at least that I can recall).

Just have to take care of a last few details with my car project, then its back to the boat so it will be ready for June.

cr2k

Captain

Dave, if your swim step/platform is actually in the water underway it may be causing some drag and like rudder to the port it could be causing some lean.

I have no personal knowledge of the auto tabs but there have been plenty of posts here suggesting them and people seem to be very happy with them.

Is there any way to get the ladder out of the water?

QC

Supreme Mariner

We need to see some pics of the platform/ladder.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Your platform shouldn't be in the water at all. Generally, the platform will be an inch or two above the water line and the ladder will extend down into the water for access.

Having the platform in the water while moving is like haveing a tiny waterskier behind you all of the time.

It's pretty simple to see if that's the problem. Unless I missed it, are you leaning to port at all while sitting still or only while underway?

FFDave

Cadet

Hi, thanks for the response,
I am leaning to port slightly while underway, mostly at a heavier throttle.
I was out today with the boat again with a buddy, and it seemed to be minimal again, but you could see there was a little lean. Once i trimmed up it got better, but was still there. I took pictures today from the lake to show the swim platform, but i have to figure out how im going to post them to this thread.
The platform is right in the water, and underway, you can see that its making a difference in the wake. ( slightly )

ALSO guys,
I kept finding that my carpet in the ski locker was damp. Even if i had it out in the sun to dry. A few days later, it would be damp again..SO i pulled the carpet up and the bottom was in great shape, but theres a triangular cut towards the stern of the ski locker, and in it i could see and hear water moving. If i had the trailer move up and down, i could see water move from front to back ( stern to bow ), It didnt look like ALOT, but you could see it was there.
Any ideas? How it got there? How to get it out? where is it going when it moves towards the stern, when i tilt the trailer up? and vice versa?
Thanks for all the help guys!

Dave

QC

Supreme Mariner

A list to port is normal while underway. It is from prop torque and will improve with trim. I know you noted that above. When you say slight, and increases with throttle and improves with trim, I'm convinced. Only reasonable solution is trim tabs.

The water could be normal. was it there before you launched? Are you sure? If you had swimmers getting in and out, then that also brings water in, and can be significant. If not those two, then not normal. Could be spray up under your rubrail, could be an engine issue, could be a drive issue, could be a leak at almost any thru hull fitting or hardware under the waterline.

FFDave

Cadet

im almost positive its been like that for a while.
When i dropped my boat off at the service center a couple weeks ago to get a shift cable replaced, it sat there for a few days, with a cover ofcourse, but once i picked it up i noticed the carpet in the ski locker was damp. I let it sit in direct sunlight and dry out. Last night i was in the garage with the boat, and i was going through the ski locker and i noticed again it was damp. Didnt think much of it. Today after the lake, i decided i was going to take a look under the carpet down there. Thats when i saw the bottom of the ski locker which looked nice and dry, but underneath the floor of the ski locker, is where i heard and then saw the water.
hmmmm thats why i was a little confused as to why it would be under the floor of the ski locker, and not just in the ski locker. But like i said in my last post, there is a triangular cut in the floor of the ski locker for some reason.

Dave

FFDave

Cadet

Im should actually be starting a new thread for this, so that is what i will do.

Dave