Attaching deck to stringers?

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Attaching deck to stringers?

Both. Put a nice thick bead of PL construction adhesive on all the stringer tops. Then pre drill the screw holes and back fill with with something water proof. Some will drop a dab of resin in the holes..others will fill with a 3M 5200. The screws you use is up to you. I used coated Deck screws..others will use Stainless..I felt that was overkill and too expensive.

erikgreen

Captain

5200 is a polyurethane adhesive that also functions well as a sealant.

That said, I personally wouldn't glue a deck on with it. If you're going to screw the deck on, then seal the holes with it and you should be good to go.

Alternatively, screw the deck pieces on then cover everything with fiberglass, including the screws... this can permit corrosion on the screw heads if water gets in there for any reason, but generally does a good job waterproofing things.

Personally I like to have no holes in my new deck.. that just provides places for the water to get in. So I attach cleats (sections of 1x2, also waterproofed like all the other wood) to the top edge of each stringer/rib/whatever, to give it a larger top surface. I glue the deck to these and to the supporting members with epoxy putty (epoxy mixed with a thickener) then put weights on it to cure. Once it cures I glass over the top all the way across the boat and partway up the sides. This makes the deck an integral part of the hull that helps strengthen it tremendously.

It also lets me have a deck with only hatch holes in it, which are waterproofed. No holes means no leaks and no rot.

Erik

TitanTea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didnt want any holes in my deck so no screws. My deck is completely sealed no holes of any kind. I glued the deck to the stringers with a heavy dose of PL Premium construction adhesive. Good stuff and priced well. Good luck!

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just put my deck in.
I used PL construction adhesive on top of the stringers then screwed the deck down.

Good coating of fiberglass and resin.