Johnson 2hp carb gasket question

smallblock

Seaman
I am doing the carb on a 2 horse. On the high speed nozzle there was a gasket( 0302984/0331181) The one that came as a replacement has a larger inside diameter than its supposed to so it fits loose and would just fall off if I used it. Do I need to use this gasket? The reason I ask is because I read a couple other threads that said I dont...What is the importance of this gasket. I have no idea what it really does. Any help would be great.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 2hp carb gasket question

I am doing the carb on a 2 horse. On the high speed nozzle there was a gasket( 0302984/0331181) The one that came as a replacement has a larger inside diameter than its supposed to so it fits loose and would just fall off if I used it. Do I need to use this gasket? The reason I ask is because I read a couple other threads that said I dont...What is the importance of this gasket. I have no idea what it really does. Any help would be great.

The boss gasket is suppose to be there, if it was not necessary, it would not have been put there in the first place by the engineers of the Evinrude. As for why the boss gasket in the carb kit you order is over sized, all I can say there is human error involved and the wrong gasket was incorrectly placed in there. My advice is to call the place you ordered the kit from and explain the oversized boss gasket and see if they will send you a replacement gasket.

As for the exact technical specifications of the gasket and an explanation of the fluid dynamics of fuel delivery of this specific piece of the carburetor, I sorry I don't have that information. I will tell you that carburetors are very finicky, they don't work well if their missing parts or dirty. Just my penny's worth of advice.

Good luck with your motor!

cajuncook1