-79 crestliner crusader 775 problem

Mikestrike

Cadet
Hi guys i`m another newbie with problems and questions!

I bought a crestliner crusader 775 from -79, the boat comes from an auction firm and no info was submitted with it!

I have a problem with draining, i cant seem to find it, i`m guessing theres an electric switch for it but nothing happens when i try the switches (al cables have been rewired and not labeled :(????

another problem i have is that theres a load of water splashing in from around the starter enging, dont know if thats because im not able to drain the old water (witch is a bit too much for my liking) or if theres a leakage somewhere that draws in new water??

Please help me....

//desperate

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: -79 crestliner crusader 775 problem

Welcome to iboats!

You need to get a bilge pump and get it wired....... can you see the water? you need to establish bilge access.

Is there a brass plug outside the boat on the lower part of the transom?? If so.... remove it with a wrench while to boat is out of the water.

cr2k

Captain

Yes you need to keep the water off of your starter. Once they get wet they will go bad in a mater of time.

Mikestrike

Cadet

thanx guys! i found the bilge pump, it was smashed under the motor and since it was drenched with water i couldnt hear it, bought a new one and will replace it asap.
Another problem occured after i drained the water yeasterday, today it was almost full again!?!?!
guesses anyone??
will take a closer look tomorrow when i`ve fixed the pump and drained it properly.
Does anyone know how to fix the pump to the fiberglassbottom beneath the motor? is there a siliconegluemagicstuff or do i use a screw and the silicone?

appreciate all the help

/mike

Mikestrike

Cadet

unfortunatly it did not rain!
wet foam? where?

appreciate the help

/mike

Mikestrike

Cadet

More questions!

does anyone know how the hull is constructed on the crestliner fiberglass boats?
I dryed the engine compartment to see were the water came from and apparently the leak is in the bottom of the compartment, its made of fiberglass and i could see at least one spot were it wasnt exactly "waterproof"!!

so i`m wondering if the space between the fiberglass and the boats hull is full of water?? witch would also explain why it feels like the boat is a bit heavy and lies deep in the water..

Please help me, i`m gettin desperate

/mike

archangelnot

Seaman Apprentice

Mike,

I'd go hit the restoration forum. They have several threads there that would give you an idea of what is going on. (hit on any of the ones where they are replacing a floor)

Your boat has floatation foam under the floor that has most likely gotten staurated with water. You will most likely need to pull up the floor, replace the foam and whatever else you find rotten down there. If you read through the treads there, most of the time, if you have saturated foam, you have other rotten things there as well.

Good luck.

Mikestrike

Cadet

thanx!

if anything els comes up please post it here..

/mike

Mikestrike

Cadet

hmm... more issues!

took my baby out for a trip yesterday, perfect weather and a perfect day.
atleast until i smelled something that resembelled burned rubber?? i could not see or feel anything on the spot, but when i for once looked backwards while driving i could see a bit more gasoline smoke than i would feel comfortable with, now of course i have to keep in mind that it is a chevy v8 -79 so maybe that is to be expected?
my reverse also decided to quit on me?

if anyone can help me enlighten the situation please do so, any help is much appreciated

/Mike

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Mike your boat does have some issue's, from what I have read it is in the water all the time?????
take it out and get it inspected before it sinks.
water can enter through the drive or many other points, you need to find them and fix them.
good luck, keep us posted on what you find. :)

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you having fun yet Mike?

Burning rubber? I would check the impeller. It may be the only thing dry on your boat.

I agree with rbh, take it out of the water before it sinks.

Mikestrike

Cadet

keep spreadin the sunshine guys! =)

the waterproblem is taken care of.
And IIve talked to a marin company today but they have a long line of boats waiting to be fixed..

the impeller you say? hmmm...

/Mike