3.8L 1982 eninge help needed

tjriv

Recruit
I am hoping someone can help; this is my first boat that i purchased over the winter. I just took it out and the motor runs great but is leaking alot of water on the port side. I couldn't tell where the water was coming from but it seemed like alot of water to be any type of cracked block. The leak seemed to be about 3 to 4 inches wide and althought it was leaking alot didn't seem to have a lot of pressure to it. I am hoping someone has any suggestions.

Thank you

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.8L 1982 eninge help needed

Cracked block would be my guess, post some pics.

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like a cracked block. get a flash light and get in there and check out the block how does the oil look

sounds like there's going to be alot of cracked blocks

cr2k

Captain

Oops see below.

cr2k

Captain

Pick one or both of the above. Water in the oil? If no you may be lucky and it is only the manifold.

If water in the oil there is probably another crack under the intake in the lifter galley along the side of the block near the head.

Hope it is just the manifold.

BTW OMC or MC? The OMC's seem to have lighter manifolds.

Welcome to iBoats. We will strive our best to help you with our information and experience. A few things you can do to help. When asking specific mechanical questions you need to include your engine and drive information even serial numbers for best results. Also pictures are often a great help. Besides we just like to look at them!

tjriv

Recruit

It's an OMC; I will check the oil and get back to you- I am also hoping it could be a freeze plug?

tjriv

Recruit

I had it up to a marine shop- it looks like i got lucky. It was only the freeze plug. Thank for your help.

I will be sure to correctly winterize it this year.