best battery

mailman2

Seaman
I'm looking at the Evermax from walmart[group24] and a Excide from BJ's The Excide is sealed and the Max has caps Which is better?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: best battery

In my opinion, I would not have an unsealed battery on a boat, especially if the boat is aluminum. I am not familiar with either of those, I just generally prefer a sealed battery. I assume that both are deep cycle marine batteries. What is the intended use? Starting only or other? If starting only, then the deepcycle is not such a big deal. Otherwise you really require the deep cycle.

TerryMSU

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of Evermax, but I have used several Everstart Marine Maxx dual purpose (The big yellow one) and found them the best value on the market.

My battery is always in a closed, locked down battery box and I don't usually turn my boat over or onto its side.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Mine are from Cosco and have not had any battery that did not last more than 6 years. My second choice would be the same as JB.
I also Believe how long they last depends on how you care for then not the brand.
You must keep them charged. Ever 2 months in the off season and once a month in summer if not used.

Never leave any battery discharged as the end of a trip. Recharge it as soon as possible. The longer it left discharged the shorter the life will be.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have always heard that you should NOT have a sealed battery on a boat due to possible overcharging issues damaging it. I have a walmart everstart I think and so far so good. Seems to have plenty to start my Johnson 88

skargo

Banned

Never heard of Evermax, but I have used several Everstart Marine Maxx dual purpose (The big yellow one) and found them the best value on the market.

My battery is always in a closed, locked down battery box and I don't usually turn my boat over or onto its side.
x2, on everything he said.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I have always heard that you should NOT have a sealed battery on a boat due to possible overcharging issues damaging it. I have a walmart everstart I think and so far so good. Seems to have plenty to start my Johnson 88

If the charge circuit is unregulated (as with most older OB's), that is true.

What kind of motor on this boat?

mailman2

Seaman

My mistake, it is a everstart from walmart. I have a Suzuki DT 140 1987. The excide is sealed where you cannot fill with water if needed. I am leaning toward the everstart max. How can you tell if you are getting the newest one, is there a code?