Now I'm Lost....

05fronty

Recruit
I have a 1994 Evinrude 30hp (E30ELERM). Here's the story... When I first got the boat, I replaced the plugs, rebuilt the carburetor and checked fuel lines for any ethenol damage. I have installed an in-line fuel filter and use seafoam regularly. I adjusted the throttle cable out all the way to increase the idle RPM to where it will easily start. All was good. I ran the lake for about 8 hours, stopping to fish and swim. Every time I hit the key, it started right up and ran great all the way to wot. On the way back to the boat dock, I was holding wide open when the engine slowly dropped to 1/2 RPM where it stayed for about 30 seconds and then died. Back at the house.... 125 compression on each cylinder... fuel pump pumping... carburetor clean... getting strong spark with new plugs... put fuel directly into head and will not start. I covered the throat of the carb with my hand while my buddy cranked it and I didn't feel any suction at all. So here I am.... lost. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Bill

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Now I'm Lost....

If you have fuel, compression, and spark, the engine has to run. Obviously you have compression.

Spark..... With the spark plugs removed, the spark must jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP. Does it? The 7/16" gap is important, do not attempt to check the spark by using the spark plugs as it is a waste of time.

No tester?..... build one as follows/

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

If the spark checks out good with the 7/16" gap, double check your fuel as it may contain water.

You've said nothing about any warning horn beeps or overheating. The above assumes no severe overheating took place.