1989 black max v135 spark plug hole stripped!

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello guys! hope you can help me out. I was just testing compression, carb cleaning and cganging plugs when right at the end putting new plugs in one of the holes stripped out. the funny thing is the thread came out like a spring and inside that was what looked like stripped threads. is there a product that the last owner of this outboard used when he stripped the thread(or the owner before that). Ive only had this motor since last summer and bought it used from a marina. im thinking someone either used some jb weld on the plug to make new threads or there is a product they used. can someone tell me what this is and where to get another or what the part is to replace to have three new holes on the one side(cylinder cover or something). if there is a thread repair thingy like what might have come out of there id rather use that cuz its probably cheap and i can get it quick, plus the compression was good. if not where can i get the whole cover and gasket. also the side of one cylinder and piston are shiny silver clean and it looks like steam comes out of my exhaust so maybe a water leak into cylinder? would the gasket for a new cylinder cover also be the gasket that would let water in? Thanxs so much for any help and all the info ive read here so far!!!!!!!! Erik

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1989 black max v135 spark plug hole stripped!

Hello guys! hope you can help me out. I was just testing compression, carb cleaning and cganging plugs when right at the end putting new plugs in one of the holes stripped out. the funny thing is the thread came out like a spring and inside that was what looked like stripped threads. is there a product that the last owner of this outboard used when he stripped the thread(or the owner before that). Ive only had this motor since last summer and bought it used from a marina. im thinking someone either used some jb weld on the plug to make new threads or there is a product they used. can someone tell me what this is and where to get another or what the part is to replace to have three new holes on the one side(cylinder cover or something). if there is a thread repair thingy like what might have come out of there id rather use that cuz its probably cheap and i can get it quick, plus the compression was good. if not where can i get the whole cover and gasket. also the side of one cylinder and piston are shiny silver clean and it looks like steam comes out of my exhaust so maybe a water leak into cylinder? would the gasket for a new cylinder cover also be the gasket that would let water in? Thanxs so much for any help and all the info ive read here so far!!!!!!!! Erik

So many questions.

1. Loctite makes an epoxy thread repair. It is not suitable for spark plug threads. There may be a keensert repair, or for sure a helicoil repair. It would be best to remove the head to do it.

2. Shiny ain't good. Water can intrude through a leaky head gasket, but usually the compression will also be down. On that engine, a common entrance is water spraying out of a cracked exhaust divider into the exhaust port. If you pull the exhaust chest cover and divider plate, you can get a good look at it. Not a big deal mechanically.

hope it helps
John

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you j martin! i notice that you help lots of people on this forum. i probably speak for tons of people when i say THANK YOU again and then again for future responses! i found a save a thread helicoil online for spark plugs! i might try it?! is the exhaust divider easy to get or replaceable? is it the metal panel bolted over the cylinder cover with the plug holes. i have the seloc which...you know! i cant find a merc manual on ebay cuz they are vague on the years they are for so you are my best bet for now! one more thing! if exhaust divider is cracked i should replace poppet and stat cuz its probly from heat.... does it have two stats, one for each side or 1 for the whole engine?? impeller is new as i hit a rock last year and replaced lower unit! THANX again j martin and everyone else!!!!!!

thumbdoctor

Cadet

thank you j martin! i notice that you help lots of people on this forum. i probably speak for tons of people when i say THANK YOU again and then again for future responses! i found a save a thread helicoil online for spark plugs! i might try it?! is the exhaust divider easy to get or replaceable? is it the metal panel bolted over the cylinder cover with the plug holes. i have the seloc which...you know! i cant find a merc manual on ebay cuz they are vague on the years they are for so you are my best bet for now! one more thing! if exhaust divider is cracked i should replace poppet and stat cuz its probly from heat.... does it have two stats, one for each side or 1 for the whole engine?? impeller is new as i hit a rock last year and replaced lower unit! THANX again j martin and everyone else!!!!!!

To assure the thread insert stays put, use some red Loctite 272 when you install the Heli Coil.

j_martin

Admiral

Exhaust cover is on the back of the engine, between the banks, under whatever is there (depends on cowl, etc.) if you have the single coil 40 amp voltage regulator, it's the top cover. Underneath is a water cooled divider to keep opposite cylinders from interfering with each other. They can crack, and squirt right into the exhaust port of one or more cylinders.

Look up your parts list by serial number, either at mercurypartsexpress.com, or mercruiserparts.com The manual is in the parts list.

Two t-stats, one on each head. They can be easily examined and tested. The rubber gasket is reusable.

You're welcome.

hope it helps
John

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanx soooo much. those web sites are awesome. i looked at the pics of the divider but it leads me to another question. would a crack in that divider steam clean the outer edge of the cylinder\piston rather than the inner edge closer to the divider? also would it clean just one cylinder\piston and not the rest. could a bad carb on that cylinder be to blame? i'm ordering a full gasket kit either way tonight. wonder if i should order some carb kits too.and thanx for the info on the stats. i'll check them tomorrow since i dont need to wait for gaskets. im sure i'll think of more to ask cuz im starting to freak out a little about the motor. i got the boat a few yrs ago. the motor on it lasted a summer. the next lasted two weeks. this one is great SO FAR! Thanx again. im forever grateful

j_martin

Admiral

thanx soooo much. those web sites are awesome. i looked at the pics of the divider but it leads me to another question. would a crack in that divider steam clean the outer edge of the cylinder\piston rather than the inner edge closer to the divider? also would it clean just one cylinder\piston and not the rest. could a bad carb on that cylinder be to blame? i'm ordering a full gasket kit either way tonight. wonder if i should order some carb kits too.and thanx for the info on the stats. i'll check them tomorrow since i dont need to wait for gaskets. im sure i'll think of more to ask cuz im starting to freak out a little about the motor. i got the boat a few yrs ago. the motor on it lasted a summer. the next lasted two weeks. this one is great SO FAR! Thanx again. im forever grateful

1. Maybe
2. Yes
3. Yes

Don't forget the divider seal. It's the silicone rope that goes down the forward edge of that thing.

hope it helps
John

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanx j m! good news. you were right but wrong. the divider wasnt cracked but at the top of it there are two holes for the water to come through?! the gasket was broke around one of those holes and the broken piece blocking the hole! lots of carbon under plate, 1/8" thick in some spots. cleaned that up. looked in all cylinders they are all shiny(like new) other than the piston heads. one piston was slightly brown on the side but just in a small spot and the rings looked good on all. flywheel hard as hell to crank by hand. yay. i still think there is a cooling issue cuz the water comes out sputtery and HOT! almost cant touch it but just almost. maybe thats the blocked piece'o'gasket. motor idle/trolls good and high speed is good but hesitates/sputters getting up on plane. carbs and/or timing adjustments??? whattya think? thanks for sending me to the right spot. if i ever get to MN im making a surprise visit with some beer for ya. Erik