Mercruiser water leak

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know the most common place that a Mercruiser alpha one would leak water into the boat? Could it be some gasket or O-ring inside it?

I have a slow intermittent leak that is not coming from any hoses but somewhere on my Mercruiser drive. It happens when the engine is not running. I can't find it when looking at it in the water but it seeps in. I'm afraid to leave it on the water overnight.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser water leak

Ayuh,... The Only way to find a leak, is LOOK...

There's No secret decoder ring that'll tell you where it is.....

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The shift cable bellows is the one that fails 99 percent of the time check it CAREFULLY. Also check the driveshaft bellows.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone know the most common place that a Mercruiser alpha one would leak water into the boat? Could it be some gasket or O-ring inside it?

I have a slow intermittent leak that is not coming from any hoses but somewhere on my Mercruiser drive. It happens when the engine is not running. I can't find it when looking at it in the water but it seeps in. I'm afraid to leave it on the water overnight.

I thought I seen something coming from the shift cable boot, thanx

How do you repair that? Grease? Silicon? New boot?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Download a service manual and it's all in there. Look in the ADULTS ONLY thread at the top of this forum...

Chris.....

Bondo

Staff member

How do you repair that?

Ayuh,... IF that's the problem, you could replace Just the bellows, but you'll be replacing the Whole cable by next year, or Sooner...
I'd just do the Whole Shebang all at once...

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

i once had a u joint bellows with a hole in it. It was just about impossible to see the small hole I about tore my hair out one summer looking for the leak, had the drive off 3 times in about 2 weeks. In hindsight it might have been easier to replace all the bellows the first time i found water intrusion and saved a lot of hassle.

If you haven't removed the drive yet you should. If there is water present in the ujoint bellows that can not only allows water in your boat but damage your u joints and in short time damage the upper front seal and driveshaft yoke.

Is there water in the lower unit? If so Your ujoint bellows may be bad or not properly clamped.

DougV>

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

My lower unit oil is clean with no water or white color.

I will replace the shifter boot because the bellows were changed two years ago. The shifter cable boot should have been changed then as well.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

LOOK...

There's No secret decoder ring that'll tell you where it is.....

What are you talking about Bondo,there is too !! I have one.I got it in a box of Lucky Charms. They're magically delicious. My ring hasnt failed me yet.Charlie

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Throttleboot1.jpg

UPDATE:

I found the boot is good but is leaking at point A so a new boot isn't needed. The only way to fix it is get another clamp at point B so it will seal.

My question now is can I use a smaller screw clamp similar to the one used on the forward part of the boot? It can be seen here:

Throttleboot2.jpg

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

My question now is can I use a smaller screw clamp similar to the one used on the forward part of the boot?

Naw,... Use a Mercruiser Fuel line Zip-tie....

Btw,... You're gonna have to change that cable,...
It probably won't Finnish the season before it Binds up...

Bondo

Staff member

What are you talking about Bondo,there is too !! I have one.I got it in a box of Lucky Charms. They're magically delicious. My ring hasnt failed me yet.Charlie

Well Charlie, You should be spending more time here Helpin' out....
Don's crystal Ball is Cracked,+ I never had 1....
Your secret decoder ring could come in Handy.....;)

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Naw,... Use a Mercruiser Fuel line Zip-tie....

Btw,... You're gonna have to change that cable,...
It probably won't Finnish the season before it Binds up...

Thanks man, I didn't know there was such a thing. This forum is great I'm gonna support Iboats forever.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Part #54-816311T

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Part #54-816311T

Thanks everyone, this was really hard to locate because it's so hard to see this area in the boat. Maybe this thread will help others with slow leak problems to find it because it's common.

johnmkelly

Recruit

hey guys i have a 1995 wellcraft, and the s#$% hit the fan on me the other day. for the last two years it has been takin on water in the bilge, it has an auto pump that would pump about a gallon every 3-4hrs. while on the river the other day i hit a dead head before i came out on plane. kinda freaked out shut the boat off while in gear....trimed all the way up making sure wft i hit was out of there. then i hear water coming in so i imeaditly removed the dog houselooked under the engine and could clearly see water pissing from where the engine and drive system conect... any help would be great as i have to repair myself, laid-off with a baby on the way and now losing sleep over my first baby:mad:

johnmkelly

Recruit

forgot to mention then when i went to start it just clicked like the engine was frozen i hit the key a few more times and it turned right over, is that because i left it in gear as i shut it off, starter sounds like its missing a tooth