73 merc 200 20hp fire issues

towrecovery

Cadet
I have a 1973 Merc 200 20hp serial number 3673295 . It has the type ignition that has the box that bolts just ahead of the starter , two coils just above the spark plugs , stator & trigger ( non points system ) . The other day we were motoring up river , keep in mind this motor has always ran & performed perfect . We were tooling along at about a moderate speed . All the sudden the motor just stopped just like you reached up & shut it off .
No miss`s , no burps , no chugs nothing just as if you were in your vehicle & reached up and shut the key off . I have not got the ignition to fire through the spark plugs since.
This is what I have done .
I got a clymer manual . Not much help it really does not tell you how to test anything.
I tested kill switch with a volt meter Voltage does pass through it until you press it then it breaks current . I asume this is right .
I pulled flywheel looked at magnets they looked good .
I looked at stator & trigger seemed to look fine.
However this manual I got does not tell you how to test the stator or trigger or switch box , Can anyone help ? Can soemone tell me how to test em in detail ?
I did find this odd but may be correct . I took a ohm meter put the red lead on the orange wire out of switch box ( kill switch wire ) I took the black lead & grounded to engine there was constant continunity .
Any help or testing instruction would be very helpful .
Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: 73 merc 200 20hp fire issues

Here's the test from CDI
scan0003.jpg

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 73 merc 200 20hp fire issues

Thanks Laddies, this may be exactly what I also need for a Blue Band 200/20.

On on-line manual would be perfect.