New Impeller but dont think Im getting flow

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Working on a 1962 40hp Gale. Managed to get it fired up today for the first time. I dont think Im getting water pumping through. I put in a new impeller for the water pump. I took the bottom end back off and it appeared I was lined up on the tube, and the impeller is on the key inside the housing. Wondering what else I should look at here. Snapped some pictures, I know how everyone loves pictures. :D

After a minute it got warm enough that I couldnt keep my hand on it for more than a second, I felt down by the outlet just above the prop and didn feel any warm water being pumped out, just exaust.

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

Reifwj

Seaman
Re: New Impeller but dont think Im getting flow

I had the same issue, pulled the thermostat and cranked it up. Water came shooting out, so I know there was flow. I also think based on my experince that any motor that has been sitting should have the thermostat pulled and checked. You can accomplish both at the same time.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

You've got some freeze damage too! The expanded/broken metal may be causing a restriction. Also, are you running deep enough in water? Upon removal of the old impeller, were all the vanes accounted for...any drawn up into the copper tube?

Mas

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No thermostat on this one. Its a Gale/Seaking.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a pic of the repair job I did with some JB Weld due to freeze damage.

Mas

59SeaKingJBWeldPump.jpg

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You've got some freeze damage too! The expanded/broken metal may be causing a restriction. Also, are you running deep enough in water? Upon removal of the old impeller, were all the vanes accounted for...any drawn up into the copper tube?

Mas

Had posted about the freeze damage before, F_R had though it would be ok, and all pieces of that are still attached. The old impeller was still in one piece, pretty cracked but nothing missing. And had water up about half way up the leg.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

The grommet where the housing/copper tube connect may be pinched.

Mas

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a pic of the repair job I did with some JB Weld due to freeze damage.

Mas

59SeaKingJBWeldPump.jpg

Nice work. Will having those pieces like mine pushed in cause enough disruption to the flow to make it not pump correctly?

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The grommet where the housing/copper tube connect may be pinched.

Mas

Sorry not following you on this one? Were talking the inch tall grommet with the nub on the side that lines up with the hole in the houseing. I did replace that.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Nice work. Will having those pieces like mine pushed in cause enough disruption to the flow to make it not pump correctly?

I wasn't sure either...so I thought I would rather be "safe than sorry!" Also, I was concerned with future freeze issues since there isn't any place for water to go if those pockets were filled with water... and further breaking the castings causing an obstruction for certain.

Do you have any water pumping through? You can always remove the LU and connect a water hose to the copper pick up tube and ensure you have a clear passage way.

I'm still thinking your grommet is pinched.

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Also, upon assembly, I packed the outer pockets on the leading edge with grease to try to prevent water from puddling and cracking the case during winter.

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry not following you on this one? Were talking the inch tall grommet with the nub on the side that lines up with the hole in the houseing. I did replace that.

Yes, the rubber grommet that fits in the upper water pump housing that the copper pickup tube fits into. Make sure the two bosses are seated correctly in the pump housing to keep it in place. These grommets are often pinched...especially if they are not lubed during assembly or there is a nick or burr in the copper tube.

Mas

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I just took it back apart. Tried all the suggestions. Sprayed the hose through all the pathways, lubed the grommet and copper pipe before installing, and I bent one of the pieces with the freeze damage back into position (the big cavity). Not sure which did it but Ive got a waterfall out the back of the motor now.

Thanks Mas!!!!!!! :D Just remember this the next time someone tells you ya dont know what your talking about. :cool:

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear everything is working well! As you noticed, I've got the exact same gear case on '59 SeaKing 35HP and had the exact same issues. It's amazing how often I've seen freeze damage on that case design...there should have been some weep holes engineered. Well, whether it was the grommet or freeze damage, I'm just glad to hear your running again!

Mas