Does Hose Dia Affect Fuel Economy?

Reifwj

Seaman
The repair shop said I should be running 1/4 inch fuel lines, but I am currently using 3/8. Will that make me burn more fuel?

I also wanted to say thanks for all the help. I finaly got to run her today. I'm getting about 20 mph on white cap water. I did use a lot of gas, but that's cause I'm an idiot and forgot to turn the choke off. Went through 4.5 gallons running 20 miles in about an hour. I'm guessing the choke had a lot to do with that. Lesson learned. Again, me and my boy had a blast today because of all your help

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Does Hose Dia Affect Fuel Economy?

Shouldn't , the carb can only deliver as much fuel as the engine demands. And the diff between 3/8 and 1/4 is huge, something doesn't make sense by their statement. Full choke all the time would certainly do it, surprised it ran with choke on, they usually die due to overfueling, better check those spark plugs, could be fouled.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the other way around may make a difference, but then it would be due to fuel starvation. I changed out the 5/16 barb on my motor fitting for a proper 3/8ths one, and now the motor runs much smoother, and doesnt appear to be leaning out. the only thing I can see an oversize hose doing would be possibly losing its prime easier due to suction from the fuel pump (or lack thereof that is, IE the pump not being able to draw that size column of fuel from the tank)

Reifwj

Seaman

I guess I should tell the entire story. I think the reason it ran with choke on was a chain of events. I was running WOT and stopped to ensure it wasn't overheating. When I stopped, it died. Long story short, the slow speed idle had vibrated loose and I was messing with the choke and fail to reset it before I set the low speed idle again. It was set with the choke half way on. I'm an idiot. :) But it did run like a top.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The repair shop said I should be running 1/4 inch fuel lines, but I am currently using 3/8. Will that make me burn more fuel?

If the shop really said that, you best stay away from there. The guy is an idiot. Ignorant too.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If you had a 10'' fuel line it wouldn't burn one more drop of fuel than it does with the 3/8'' line, it could move more fuel but it wouldn't burn it.

If you have newer ethanol resistant line on it I would leave it go.

Reifwj

Seaman

I will say he did not state it would burn more fuel. I was just wondering? He has been very helpful and straight forward. He said that they originaly came with smaller hose and I was wondering if being to big could impact running. So I guess I'm the idiot:). My wife will agree to that also.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's a bit harsh:

Definition:

A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

I hardly think that's you, I think it was more of a misunderstanding that being an idiot :D

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My rule of thumb. If it fits tight on the original barb its okay. I'd rather go a 1/16 to an 1/8 bigger than spend time trying to shove a fuel line on. If it's loose going on the barb, you may have trouble with it sealing, letting it suck air.