motor bogging.. Please help

wmrcer

Cadet
first time taking the boat back out after about 5 months.. Prior to this boat ran great, never had a problem since the 1 year i owned it. Now i take it out it idle great and ran the channel back and forth hardly moving ( no wake zone). Went to go wot and did great for about 10seconds then bogged... I slowed throttle down , then gave it another try at wot. But this time at wot it would not leave around 3000 rpm or so. I talked to a friend , and they mentioned the carbs were probably the carb being gummed up from not being used..

Trying to see what the masses opinion is on it.

2004 mercury 75hp

Can't Cast

Seaman Apprentice
Re: motor bogging.. Please help

Sounds like it could be a carb problem, partially plugged main jet in one carb maybe.
One thing that might help is go to Wal-Mart or an auto parts store and get a can of Sea Foam or a bottle of Techron (about $6.00 either way) and put some in the gas tank.
Then take the boat back out and run it. It may take a while to unplug the jet if it works (50-50 chance), but it's a cheap gamble. Sure less expensive than a carb rebuild...
I run it in my outboard and my motorcycle, and it definitely keeps my fuel system from gunking up.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Motorcycles, cars, etc., do NOT operate at FULL LOAD like Marine engines do.

A restricted fuel supply, such as a clogged jet, weak fuel pump, etc., can cause a cyl to run excessively lean and MELT a piston.

Sea Foam is a good preventative measure, and works well to de-carb ring lands and piston domes,

HOWEVER.....

Operating that motor with a lean cyl is a recipe for disaster.

Clean the carbs properly.

j_martin

Admiral

If I had to guess from your description, a little water and some unfriendly bacteria in your gas tank cooked up some goo that migrated and fouled up your entire fuel system. At the very least, it plugged up the fuel filter.

Don't try to run it like that. Clean up the mess before you burn down the power head.

hope it helps
John