wot ?

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, anyone

I haveEvinrude 1964 2 cylander 28hp. I rebuilt carb, put in new tune up kit, set points, checked compression 105and104, got motor started and idle fine before winter 2009.Today i took it out for a spin, it seem to run fine at low and mid range speed. then I adjusted high speed needle in gear and wot, after that my slow speed idle stuck high.

My question is If my motor running one cylander the motor still run good at low speed and idle fine? checked spark before the winter was fine.
Any help will be appreciated. Cal s.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: wot ?

Hard to understand the question here.

It was sparking good last year?
Ok but that was last year.:p
WHat about now.?
And did you winterize it before laying it up for a few months?
carbs get clogged if fuel was left in the bowls.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

It starts up and idles fine. Except when I try to open it up or run it wot, it does not rev up.I belief, it sparks ok. Itook off the shift and throttlecables to work on the oat also. I wonder if my throttle is off.

Thank you. p.s I also ran it out off gas before I put it a wayfor winter.

jonesg

Admiral

Ok but...
How about testing it for spark.
If you have a timing light it will show if one of the coils is dropping spark when the throttle is opened.

Does the carb throttle plate fully close at idle?
is it at 90 deg level at WOT?

Otherwise you're back to rebuilding the carbs again and that might not be the problem.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, I will check spark agian and the throttle plate at idle and at wot. How doI use the timing lighg to check spark. Is this being used while motor is running?

I use the the spark checker from Auto zone. that plugs into the spark boot.
I also had one coil checked by marina mchnic once when i put in the new tune up kit. what about spark plug wire? can that case weak spark if it s bad.
Please explain how use timing light on out board motor. Thank yoy.
Thank you for your comments and time.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carb throttle plate?

Hi, all

I have 1964 Evinrude 28 hp 2cylander. I checked my carburator plate today by manually push on throttle handle and look at plate at full throttle, it only openned about 35 degree, not at 90 degree and at idle is fully closed.

My quetion is, am I doing it right? or Is it supposed to have motor running?
Please help,I am lost. Thank you.

jonesg

Admiral

Hi, all

I have 1964 Evinrude 28 hp 2cylander. I checked my carburator plate today by manually push on throttle handle and look at plate at full throttle, it only openned about 35 degree, not at 90 degree and at idle is fully closed.

Ok, now put the above sentence with your words below.

"It starts up and idles fine. Except when I try to open it up or run it wot, it does not rev up"

So the throttle doesn't fully open and it doesn't rev up.
What more do you need to know to draw a conclusion?
It needs a link and sync so the throttle opens fully when the ignition is fully advanced.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for info.

I will do my best to fix that, I have a service manual. I will post back when is fixed.