No more Mercury Outboards for me...

5outta6

Cadet
I ordered a thermostat the last week of March; its been about 6 weeks now. Everytime I enquire from the online parts house (from where I have bought lots of parts) they tell me Mercury has pushed the delivery date further out.
Whats a person supposed to do? any ideas?

Most likely, I will never buy another Mercury Outboard again.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: No more Mercury Outboards for me...

I ordered a thermostat the last week of March; its been about 6 weeks now. Everytime I enquire from the online parts house (from where I have bought lots of parts) they tell me Mercury has pushed the delivery date further out.
Whats a person supposed to do? any ideas?

Most likely, I will never buy another Mercury Outboard again.

Check your local Mercury dealer. He probably has one on the shelf.

DuckOfDeath

Seaman

I often use Ebay with good results.
Searching for 'mercury outboard thermostat' brings up 21 results covering a wide range of models.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Already done that at three places......

Pull the thermostats out and run 1/8 or 3/16" id washers. Make sure you allow a little more warmup time if the temps are cold. When the new therms finally arrive install them.

Thermostats are designed to assist in warmup and control temps at idle speeds. Once the poppet opens the thermostats are out of the cooling system equation. The washers will pass enough water to get you safely past the no-wake bouys and won't effect high speed operations.

This is not a new trick, it's done all the time. I only run thermostats in the winter time to prevent cold seizing.

Just a side note about getting parts. This is the busiest time of the year and because of the economy, more people than ever are fixing up motors rather than buying new. I've had delays in getting parts from Merc and Sierra so I don't think anyone was prepared for the onslaught of orders this year.

5outta6

Cadet

I often use Ebay with good results.
Searching for 'mercury outboard thermostat' brings up 21 results covering a wide range of models.

thanks for the ebay tip, I am checking there now.

I was just told by an ebay seller that the thermostat I need is a dealer only part.

j_martin

Admiral

I disagree with the washer trick. On some engines run under ideal conditions, and carefully watched and controlled, it can work. In normal fishing use, washers instead of t-stats are often the source of weird tune up and physical damage issues.

The thermostats don't completely drop out when the poppet opens, they just control less flow, as some is dumped out sumarilly by the poppet relief. They are critical, however, to getting the engine quickly up to operating temperature at idle, especially in cold water. Without that, you risk a cold seize when you throttle up.

Have you tested the old thermostat, or are you just replacing it because it's stained or something?

I didn't think of the economy thing. I did, however, notice a shortage of listings for various parts I look for on eBay.

hope it helps
John

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You're right John, as long as he doesn't get complacent about the washers and stop looking for the therms he should be alright this time of year.

I often forget that not everbody is as meticulous as we are about our baby's health.

Soutta6 what's the motor year and hp, if you have a serial number that would help too. I'll get you the right part number for the therms and I'd be willing to bet I can find them in-stock at one of my online sources.

5outta6

Cadet

Commander sschefer:
Currently I am not at the location of my boat so I dont have the serial number but it is a:
2001 25hp bigfoot 4 stroke.
serial number starts with "OT22....".
I am pretty sure the part number I need is :
M-825212 (M-825212001)
this is taken off the boats.net site where I order my parts.

any help in securing a new thermostat will be greatly appreciated.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Somebodys BS's you as I just checked Merc's stock and there is 1 in Lake Suzy and 1 in NOR which is out of my ordering area(have to pay shipping). The new part# is 825212T02 and I can order it if needed. :D

j_martin

Admiral

I didn't want to say BS at first, but it was my first impression. When a business is in trouble and gets put on minimum quantity cash only basis, they often BS the customers about why they can't immediately get the part.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

John

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I didn't want to say BS at first, but it was my first impression. When a business is in trouble and gets put on minimum quantity cash only basis, they often BS the customers about why they can't immediately get the part.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

John

No argument, I've worked retail sales for a company that was in financial hardship. They made it out but it was tough dealing with customers.

5outta6

Cadet

Can I order the part direct or online somewhere or pick one up near Sacramento or S.F. , CA ?

I don't know about the dealer BS'ing me, but it is possible. But one of the places I did check with BASSS PRO in Manteca, CA. and here's what they had to say:

"I do not stock the following parts; I would have to special order them. The gasket shows as being in stock at the factory but the thermostat is on B/O with an ETA of April 20th to the factory.

825212001 Thermostat $26.25

824853 Gasket $ 7.05 "

that was on April 6, 2010.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I work at a mercury/mercruser dealer and we have problems getting parts.???

country boy

Seaman

Man oh Man! too many aftermarket parts out there to be having those kinda thoughts. try to type in a search for merc outboard parts on line and see what you get you may be suprised.

5outta6

Cadet

crowley marine just sent me their reply ( I have never ordered there before but they got back to me this morning already) to my question if they had this part:

"Collin , May 08 09:36 (MDT):
No unfortunately it is on back order from Mercury. Sorry for the bad news "

spunkyjr

Seaman

That's ok my Johnson dealer told me the same thing Friday. He's have trouble getting parts for both Mercury And Johnsons. Especially if they are over 20 years old.

j_martin

Admiral

That's ok my Johnson dealer told me the same thing Friday. He's have trouble getting parts for both Mercury And Johnsons. Especially if they are over 20 years old.

Tough times.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Just one more reason to take care of your stuff in the off season.

5outta6

Cadet

update: As per suggestions on this forum I checked more parts dealers. same story. back ordered.
Now I'm told it will be May 20th.......(everytime I enquire about the delivery date I'm told Mercury is telling the parts dealers later dates.......