Repower problem

brendanstl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a boat from a guy that "forgot" to winterize his boat and got it for a great deal knowing I would need a new motor. I bought a running 350 from a 1995 chevy van, brought the motor home today and started tearing it down to install all my parts from the old motor that were still good, before I decided to pull the crank and pistons I thought I would check casting numbers, the crank, rods and pistons all have the same numbers so that saved me some work. I just thought about something though, I think I read somewhere that you cant use your pre vortec manifold with vortec heads, is this true and if so is it possible to find a reasonably priced manifold that will work?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Repower problem

The bolt pattern on Votec intakes are different.

I run an aluminum Professional Products (Edelbrock Clone) polished air gap dual plane intake.
If you boat in fresh water they are a fairly inexpensive option.

They are made in different styles to fit vortec/non vortec heads.

brendanstl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The bolt pattern on Votec intakes are different.

I run an aluminum Professional Products (Edelbrock Clone) polished air gap dual plane intake.
If you boat in fresh water they are a fairly inexpensive option.

They are made in different styles to fit vortec/non vortec heads.

Ok, next question then.... Will I be able to use the cam that was in the 89 350 mag with the vortec heads and will the 350 mag fuel pump work?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

just keep the cam that is already in the van engine.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Cam yes.
Fuel pump....that block may not have a fully machined fuel pump boss. Passenger vehicles of that era were all fuel injected and used electric fuel pumps.You will need to look and verify if it is drilled all the way to the cam lobe.
And no, you can't realistically drill it out and finish it on your own.
You can retrofit a MARINE electric fuel pump of correct pressure with an oil pressure switch.

brendanstl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just keep the cam that is already in the van engine.

Too late for that, threw all the lifters and the cam in the dumpster and it was emptied earlier. I have the cam from the old merc motor because it had very low hours on it and labeled all the lifters to go with it.

brendanstl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bomar, will my old carburator work on that manifold.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

They sell those manifolds in both square bore (Weber/Weber clones/most Hollys) and spread bore (Quadrajunk) patterns.

brendanstl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They sell those manifolds in both square bore (Weber/Weber clones/most Hollys) and spread bore (Quadrajunk) patterns.

Bomar I appreciate all the great answers from you and all the other members here, I know car motors but when it comes to boats and fuel injected engines I don't know anything..... Do you know what kind of carburetor they put on the 89 350 mags, looks like a quadrajet configuration to me but I'm not sure.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

post the pn from the carb, or snap a quick pic.