Soft Spots?

Capt Big

Cadet
New to boating and found some soft spots today. What is the best way to fix them and could I possibly wait until next season to fix or would that be a stupid move.

Thanks for any input

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Soft Spots?

Where are the spots located? Transom, sole(floor), hull side, etc. How big are they and what kind of drive set up does your boat have, Inboard/Outboard, Outboard..

Capt Big

Cadet

I/O and they are on the floor. Small to medium size and there is a small crack in the fiberglass on the floor as well

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

I/O and they are on the floor. Small to medium size and there is a small crack in the fiberglass on the floor as well

you can patch/repair, but not advised.
the cracking in the glass on the deck may be sign of bad stringers as well as the soft spots. allowing the hull to flex too much?

Capt Big

Cadet

so if i dont patch repair the only other option is to trash the boat is that what u are saying

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boats do not have floors. If there are soft spots in the sole or deck your boat has cancer. It will go a lot further than you can feel.

Plan on replacing the complete sole and probably several stringers as well.

Do not operate the boat like that or you may lose the whole thing.

Capt Big

Cadet

Boats do not have floors. If there are soft spots in the sole or deck your boat has cancer. It will go a lot further than you can feel.

Plan on replacing the complete sole and probably several stringers as well.

Do not operate the boat like that or you may lose the whole thing.

how much does a that cost on a 17 footer

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

no i never said junking was the option.... it may end up to be your option if you rather not get that involved of removing the deck, removing foam and stringers. then glassing in new stringers, replacing the foam, and then reglassing in a new deck.

check out the resto threads, it will give you an idea on the job.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If anything, you will walk away with some great knowledge and a better boat. Just remember sometimes you just have to walk away, fire up the ole computer and log on to your iboats account and do some complaining and research, and scratching your head. It's not all that bad, just patients.