Yamaha f150 pro

phoenixs

Recruit
I have a Sea Hunt Triton 207 boat with a f150 Yamaha outboard. The boat weighs about 2700 pounds with the engine. The Yamaha performance report says that with a 14 1/4 x 18 stainless prop I should get 5900 rpms and 46 mph. I have that prop and I get 5200 rpms and 43 mph. Am I close enough or should I try tweaking it a little. Thanks for your help.
Wayne

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha f150 pro

Didn't see your boat listed? What page?

5200 is too low. My boat was WOT at 5400 with the stock 19p aluminum. I played with the height, went up to the number 2 hole and have been happy with a turning point Hustler, 17p, 5800/45 light load.

Looks like Sea Hunt wants the AV plate about and inch above the bottom. Check that first.

hwsiii

Commander

Phoenix, you may well have bought the wrong stainless prop for your boat. Most people don't realize there an be differences of as much as 800 RPM between one 14 1/4 x 18 stainless prop and another one because of the differences in blade geometry.

But, if you will fill out this form for me I will see if we can do some setup changes to make it get better speed.

You might try reading this for a better understanding of changing props for better performance, and for the major differences between aluminum props and stainless steel.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=369057

If you would prefer to not go to this much trouble there are many other people who will come along and gladly help you.

1. Year, make and model of boat
2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat
2a.What is the maximum recommended HP for your boat
3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat and what do you use the boat for
4. Year, make. manufacturer and model of motor and recommended Wide Open Throttle (WOT) range
5. HP and gear ratio of motor IMPORTANT
If you don?t know the ratio, you need to pull the plugs out and put a piece of tape across the prop and the lower unit and then cut it between the prop and the housing then do the same thing on the flywheel and turn the motor until the tape lines up with each other on the prop, it is easier if two people do this, so one can watch the prop while the other counts the revolutions of the motor
6. Anti-ventilation Plate height above keel of boat if it is an outboard in inches, use a straight edge under the keel and sticking out to the anti ventilation plate for a reference
Motor Transom Height
AntiventilationPlateStraightEdge-2.jpg

7. WOT RPM and speed from your current prop and how much gas and how many people were in the boat for the test data and is the speed by GPS. Make sure you trim the prop up until it starts ventilating and then just trim in until it quits ventilating.
RPM _________ Speed ______ GPS ______ No. of people ______ Gal. Gas ________
8. Make, model, diameter, pitch, number of blades and whether SS or aluminum prop and does it have a hydrafoil, dolefin or trim tabs
9. Has your motor been tuned up lately and have you checked that the carburetor butterfly is opening all the way by just pushing the throttle at the helm and not at the carburetor, checked compression, and looked at the plugs and checked spark as well as timing and advance, all of the foregoing could be the reason your prop is not attaining full RPM
10. What problems are you trying to cure or what are you looking for the boat to do that it is not doing the way you think it should or to your expectations and does the prop show any damage that you can see

REMEMBER, The numbers I give you will be NO better than the information you give me. I use a computer program I designed to find the correct pitch and then knowledge to pick a Better prop design for your boat.

The only thing I ask of you is to come back and give me a report of WOT RPM and speed for my database.

H

phoenixs

Recruit

Thank you for all of the information. I will get all the details off the boat tomorrow and get back to you.