Starter rope came all the way out

skinny dugan

Cadet
Any and all help is welcomed, putting small boat together for the season and my frist attempt to start 1967 6hp Evinrude the starter cord came all the way out in my hand. Removed cowling and seen any number of avenues to reattach, but never done it before and before I screw it up please help.

Thanks Skinny Dugan:confused:

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter rope came all the way out

If you have to other problems with the recoil, you should be able to remove it. Then turn it by hand, counter clockwise, while upside down. Run your new rope through whichever hole looks more favorable and out the front of the recoil. I usually start with 3 feet of rope and work down to what I need. Slide a washer over the rope and make a good knot. Or you may just make a good know. Get it very tight and be sure it won't slip though the hole. Slowly let it wind its self back in. You should have loose slack when it's done. The put the rope through your handle and have the handle where it seats. Pull the rope unitll you line your marks up on the recoil. If you have none just pull it out about six inches. Mark that spot to tie the handle end of your rope. You may not need to tie that end depending on your handle set up.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter rope came all the way out

The first question is did it wreck the recoil spring when it back lashed. If you got lucky, wind the starter counter-clockwise 16 turns and then stick the handles of a pair of pliers under the pinion gear. That will hold the pinion in engagement with the flywheel so it doesn't unwind.

Now that you have both hands free, install the rope to the top of the groove in the spool and out through the front of the cowl. The rope is attached to the spool in one of two different ways. If it is a round hole, just a simple knot. If an elongated hole, you gotta know how to do it---can you hear "service manual"?

Once you have the rope secured, hang onto it and remove the pliers and let it rewind.

Back to the spring: If it is wrecked, it will have to be replaced. Did I mention service manual?