What is this

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was given this very old antique motor and I am guessing it to be 30s maybe.Its a twin cylinder.I cannot so far get any spark out of it.Does anyone know what make and HP and vintage it is? I cleaned the points good,I cleaned the coil and flywheel magnets good also and that maybe leaves the coil or condensor bad maybe.Can a modern condensor possibly work on this old motor..Anyway any help in identifying or making it run would be greatly appreciated....

Also whats the little tank with the aluminum fins hold? Do you fill that with water or oil maybe..I assume its maybe for water to cool it but want to make sure if I do get it to run I do not mess it up....Thanks

Attachments

• old motor.JPG
    old motor.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 0

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: What is this

The little tank with fins is the muffler...could be several makes...model or other casting numbers will help ID it.

keith-uk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It could be a made by Caille, maybe a Motorgo, hard to tell.

CATransplant

Admiral

Take a close look at every part of that outboard and report any words or numbers you find on it. Not many folks can identify an outboard that old just by looking at it. However, it will, no doubt, have information on it in the castings or on a plate of some kind.

With the information, we can probably tell you exactly what it is, when it was made, and possibly where you can find the bits you need to repair it.

The more information you supply, the better we'll be able to help.

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will try to find some numbers in the daylight tommorow and post them.I think it would be cool to hear this old girl run....Thank You...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Looks like a Caille standard model. The deluxe models had a gearshift that would actually change the pitch of the propeller. Dated from the 1930s, either way...

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,heres some numbers I found.On one side there is a 18010 and on the other end LS017 with the name Lynde below those numbers a little bit.The carb is The tilliston MFG CO Toledo O USA ..Thats about all I can find for numbers and lettering..Thanks everybody....I did get some intermittent spark out of the cylinders but it comes and goes and mostly only sparks good on one side too when it does decide to fire at all....Other side is really intermittent and weak...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Chinewalker is indeed an outboard encyclopedia.

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

So any guess on HP and any other info and where a guy may get parts to get it going.Also any ideas on why I cannot get spark?I do not want to put alot in it money wise and will just get rid of it and if I cannot get it going..I am not a old motor collector but thought it would be cool to see it run if it was easy enough too do so.. Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hard to tell just by looking, but I'd say it may be a late 1920s model. May be a 12hp Commodore model (1929). It doesn't look big enough to be the 16. In 1930 they went to the "Red Head" style, where their gas tanks were painted bright red. Yours doesn't appear to have any red showing.

If you can post the photo over at the Ask A Member board at aomci.org, you might be able to find someone better able to pin it down than I. I'm pretty good with the pre WWII stuff, but by no means an expert...
- Scott

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

No it does not appear to ever have had any red paint...You can see where some decals are missing though..Thanks and I will check that site out...

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

After researching some sites I think this is actually a Motorgo made by Caille for the Sears stores.That would explain the absence of Caille badges on the exhaust and flywheel and such I see on the motors made for themselves..Make sense? Thanks

keith-uk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Makes perfect sense, but what would I know.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That would be an awesome restration project. It's cool to have people give things like that to you.:D

Definately worth researching and rebuilding.:cool: