OMC Cobra ignition help~!

dobler5

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I took my boat out of storage last weekend and changed the oil startd in up in the driveway and everything was fine. Went out to the lake and no start. I began trial and error process and checking everything out. I am thinking it is electrical problem. A blown fuse maybe or something. It turns over and acts like it wants to fire but it wont start. If i hold the key all the way to start it fires up but I let go because the starter is still turning. I have an 91 omc cobra 4.3L. Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: OMC Cobra ignition help~!

Dobler,
I think you need to give us a little more information about what you have done to start the diagnostic process first. What is the condition/age of your points ( I think a 91 has points still), plugs, fuel filter, ect. It sounds like you have something simple to fix, but it cannot be narrowed down until you start with some of your basic components. Does it start if you spray carb cleaner in the carb? Could be something as small as the choke. Have you checked the fire at the plugs? How are your key ignition compenents (cap,rotor, points, plugs, wires)?

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like the ignitionn switch lead is corroded at the run position

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

safety lanyard

In the start position, you are getting 12V from the starter solenoid but when you release to the run position, the voltage comes from the ignition switch through the safety lanyard through the ballast resistor before it goes to the coil.