chrysler 85 hp magnapower?

Kevin W.

Recruit
I posted about this yesterday but i dont know i guess i put it into the wrong forum. But here is the info, model # 857HE, serial# 7459. There is a number stamped on the block that # is 404680. So my qusestions are 1 the age/year, 2 does the number stamped on the block mean anything. How reliable is this motor. I gave $100 for it and it appears to be in really good shape. all i need is an ignition. was this a good deal.
Thanks for the help!
Kevin W.

Attachments

• seastar rebuild 3-17-2010 004.jpg
    seastar rebuild 3-17-2010 004.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 4
  • seastar rebuild 3-17-2010 010.jpg
    seastar rebuild 3-17-2010 010.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 5

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: chrysler 85 hp magnapower?

I think your motor is a 1973. A $100 sounds pretty good. Have you done a compression test?

Kevin W.

Recruit

no not yet but i will. i bought it from a co worker who said it checked ok.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

I posted about this yesterday but i dont know i guess i put it into the wrong forum. But here is the info, model # 857HE, serial# 7459. There is a number stamped on the block that # is 404680. So my qusestions are 1 the age/year, 2 does the number stamped on the block mean anything. How reliable is this motor. I gave $100 for it and it appears to be in really good shape. all i need is an ignition. was this a good deal.
Thanks for the help!
Kevin W.

Kevin, your motor looks similar to my 1969 70hp, but you have the newer style fuel pump, and your CDI box is a newer style. I'd guess that yours is about a 1975 or so. You should be able to google the numbers and find out for sure.

$100.00, if the motor is complete and turns over freely and the LU shifts as it should than you didn't do too bad...worse case you can part it out and come out ahead. These are real simple motors and pretty easy to work on and keep running, but they do need maintenance. Get a manual ASAP!!!!

Why do you need an "ignition"? I can't tell for sure in the photos, I only see one lead to the distributor, but if your igntion is a "points" style the FIRST thing you need to do is clean and regap your points properly, ensure that they are working as they should before you condemn any other ignition components. If your points are rusted/cruded up the ignition wil not work at all. Also don't assume that your plug wires are "OK", check your compression,take the time to rebuild your fuel pump and re-plumb all of your fuel lines. Probably wouldn't hurt to change your impellar (inside of the water pump) too. You're going to have to do these things eventually so eliminate potential problems before they happen.

You're going to put some $$$ into the motor if you want it to be dependable or reliable, but in the end it will be just that. Finally, remember it is an older motor so it may not be as sleek or cool or fast as a newer outboard, but if you take care of it she may just outlive a LOT of newer motors out there!Good luck...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Unless that is a shadow, the head shows discoloration from overheating (bottom two cylinders). Before you do anyrthing else, check the compression

john from md

Commander

I agree with Frank. The head shows discoloration that may have been from overheating. If your buddy hasn't pulled the head lately, I would pull it off just to see what it looks like after you do a compression test.

John

Kevin W.

Recruit

What i ment was an ignition switch. He lost the key! Thanks also for pointing out the discolord head. I'm new to outboards and never would have even guessed that would have been a problem. I have already got a shop manuel for it and am also planning on changing the impeller. Thanks to all for the info! Any other suggestions just keep them comming!
Kevin W.

john from md

Commander

Kevin,

The best place to start with a new to you engine is in the FAQ in the beginning of the maintenance forums. There is a thread in there about waking a sleeping engine or something like that. It has alot of good information. Additionally, on page 2 of the FAQ, there are instructions for decarbonizing your engine. This procedure will keep the carbon build up down and your engine performing in top condition.

John