Remote Tilt/Trim switch not working

richwood2000

Recruit
I recently purchased a 50 hp Mariner 2 stroke Outboard motor built ~1991. The Tilt/Trim switch on the motor works just fine but the switch on the remote does not work. Everything else on the remote works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Remote Tilt/Trim switch not working

Bad switch. Just replaced mine. Easy to do on my setup at least. Mine would click on up and nothing on down. Drove myself nuts for 2 days messing with it, went and got a new switch, problem solved. Now if I could just figure out where mine is leaking....LOL.

richwood2000

Recruit

Where did you get the replacement switch? You say it was pretty easy to install? I've got the switch on the side of the shift lever -- I thought about taking it apart and looking at it. I'm generally a lot better at taking things apart than putting them back together though. :)

Thanks for the information!

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your problem is in the shifter handle not on the motor. The solenoid is fine. You need to take apart the handle and look for something loose or disconnected.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where did you get the replacement switch? You say it was pretty easy to install? I've got the switch on the side of the shift lever -- I thought about taking it apart and looking at it. I'm generally a lot better at taking things apart than putting them back together though. :)

Thanks for the information!

I've taken one of these apart before, it is NOT as difficult as you may think. That switch comes out of the handle. To get an EXACT replacement, you'll have to go to a Mercury dealer. BUT, just about any marine supply store will have an aftermarket one that will fit, just up to you what you prefer. The Merc one is close to double the price, but some ppl beleive in using genuine parts. It isn't that hard, just be careful, be organized, and don't force anything, most of that stuff is made of plastic.
Good luck.

richwood2000

Recruit

There is a plate on the side of the remote that snaps off. After taking it off I found three wires, red, green and blue. The green and blue wires had been severed. There was just enough wire coming out of the remote to reattach the wires. After I reconnected the wires the trim/tilt switch works again.

The problem seems to be a bad design (unless the previous owner messed it up). When the throttle is shifted it pulls on the wires that control the trim/tilt. For now I am just leaving the plate off so that the wires can move more freely. If they get severed again I'll have to take the whole remote off since there's barely a stub of wire sticking out from the remote.