Need some help with mounting a transom trolling motor to the front of a boat

christal

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, My girlfriend and I just bought a 16ft runabout...upgraded from our 12ft jon boat....big, wonderful change. At any rate, I bout a new transom mount trolling motor, the one that came with the boat worked we just wanted a new one to be on the safe side. The motor we just bought is a transom mount and my question is, can a transom mount trolling motor be placed into the mount that the old trolling motor came in. The mount is on the front of the boat and you pull the string to lower the motor into the water. I believe this mount is called a quick release but I am not sure. If the new motor won't go into the mount how can I put the transom mount on the front? I know I would have to turn the motor head around so it will pull instead of push, I'm just wondering where to place the new motor itself....any help on this is greatly appreciated.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need some help with mounting a transom trolling motor to the front of a boat

As long as the shaft is the same size it should clamp into any trolling motor bracket. Just remove the transom mount and install the shaft into the other mount.

as for turning the head around, all you have to do it take the locking screw out that holds the head to the shaft and turn the head around. I do it all the time for my jon boat when i go out alone and want to use it on the front.

Good luck!
RC

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some help with mounting a transom trolling motor to the front of a boat

First, you have a sissor mount. Quick release plates are used to quickly remove the motor from the boat for security or during transport. We have no idea what brand sissor mount or trolling motor was up front to start with nor what brand or size transom mount motor you bought so we have no idea whether any of those items will work together.

christal

Seaman Apprentice

As long as the shaft is the same size it should clamp into any trolling motor bracket. Just remove the transom mount and install the shaft into the other mount.

as for turning the head around, all you have to do it take the locking screw out that holds the head to the shaft and turn the head around. I do it all the time for my jon boat when i go out alone and want to use it on the front.

Good luck!
RC
thanks for the information rc greatly appreciated, i am hoping to get the boat back into the water this weekend so i'll do some work on her tomarrow

christal

Seaman Apprentice

also, thank you silvertip for setting me straight, i'm still a bit ignorant about trolling motors, however, i do know that both the old motor and the new motor are minkota's, the old motor is a 33# thrust and the new one is 50#, i bought a bigger one just in case i need the extra ooomph. Both motors are the same length the only reason i took the old motor off is because i don't care for the foot pedal, when i took the boat out for a test run i was all over the lake because i couldn't find the right position by using my foot, if you can imagine it was rather comical. thanks again for the information and knowledge

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just because they are both MinnKota motors does not mean the shaft sizes are the same. If the new motor has a bigger shaft it will obviously not fit in the mount. If it is smaller you will need to make a reducing collar.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Even if everything fits, you may want to run it as a transom mount for the 1st season, before you void the warrantee.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hate to confuse matters, but if you've only tried the FCTM once I'd give it a little while before I gave up on it, especially if you intend to do much casting. Once you master their use they are very handy. Just a thought.

BTthatsME

Recruit

I am looking to mount my Minn Kota 65, 5 speed, 28lb thrust trolling motor to the front of my 14 foot boat as well. However, my battery is located in the back of the boat. I am looking to extend my cables to reach the battery in the back. I need to find out how many amps run through these wires and I cannot find it online. Any idea on how many amps I need in my wires to run safely, or where I can find this out for sure. I really do not want to move the battery to the front, no where to put it. Thanks

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Figure about 28 to 30 amps; size your wire accordingly. I would go with at least 6 to minimize voltage drop.