water pump question 2008 228 LXI

CPD359

Recruit
Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Larson 228 LXI with the volvo 5.0GXI... I am attempting to change the raw water pump impeller, but it is really low in the engine compartment and there is no room between it and the bulkhead.. I am too big to get right into the compartment... Anyone change one yet? Ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water pump question 2008 228 LXI

Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Larson 228 LXI with the volvo 5.0GXI... I am attempting to change the raw water pump impeller, but it is really low in the engine compartment and there is no room between it and the bulkhead.. I am too big to get right into the compartment... Anyone change one yet? Ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

I haven't changed mine yet...Gona try to get one more year outa mine then change it after his season...I've heard tho that these are pretty tough to change since you can't access the engine from the back seat.

Good luck...let us know how it goes!!

CPD359

Recruit

I ended up paying someone to do it... Much easier then contorting myself into some terrible shape to get to the pump! FYI, after 2 years of salt water, the old impeller was toast! Made me glad it got done!

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ended up paying someone to do it... Much easier then contorting myself into some terrible shape to get to the pump! FYI, after 2 years of salt water, the old impeller was toast! Made me glad it got done!

Good choice. Not sure this is comparable but on my 4.3GL there is a bracket that you have to take off but you can't see anything and you have to work completely blind. My boat guy struggled with it for 30 minutes. It would have taken me a lot longer.
Happy boating!

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah my boat's never seen salt water so I'm not that worried about it being that bad yet...What'd the charge you to do it??

CPD359

Recruit

Sorry for the delay in replying, we just had our first daughter. The shop charged me $140..... well worth the trouble it saved!

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

ON my LXI the back of the rear seat comes off and their is an access hole to the front of the motor.