New to boating have question about control

ram50

Cadet
Hello all I'm new here just got my first boat. Its an old one but solid. the boat has an 1975 Mercury 500 thunderbolt on it. I have it in the shop getting maint done on it as im typeing this.

My question is problably the most nube question there is (i did a search but didn't find all the answers I needed) What does the control box do? I know that it controls the forward and rev. It has a push buttion choke. but there is another lever that is behing the shifter that is a flat blade and moves foward to a point then has a stop on the unit. It almost looks like a mail box flag (with the flag rotated 90 deg.) is this the fast idle, warmup, or just the throttle? sorry for such a nube question but this is my VERY FIRST boat and I like to wunderstand it before I get on the water in it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to boating have question about control

is this the fast idle, warmup

Yep. Lets you give it some throttle when not in gear. This lever isn't used when the boat is in gear and in fact, probably has to be put back down in order to put the motor in gear.

Huron Angler

Admiral

The procedure is to lower the motor leg into the water, prime the fuel line by squeezing the bulb, push the electic choke, turn the key, when she fires you can lift the idle lever and let her warm up for a bit.

Then lower the idle lever...at the same time it locks all the way down engage forward gear and you're off:)

I've got a 80hp Merc with the same controls. Good luck:)

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Indeed, that device is called the "warm-up lever." As mentioned, advances timing and opens throttle just a bit to increase revs and speed warm up of the motor.

Sometimes, if the motor is really cold, you might have to start the motor with the warm-up lever already up a tad.

ram50

Cadet

Thanks for all the answers!!!!!

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I always had the lever full up, chock pushed, and when she fired, I brought the lever down to keep the RPM's at about 1200.

Moody Blue

Captain

You'll find it easier to start the motor with the fast idle/warn up lever in the raised position but be prepared to lower it quickly once the motor starts to avoid over revving. You need to push AND HOLD the choke button while cranking the motor over then release it one the motor fires. You may need to push the choke button once or twice more (briefly) to keep it running initially.

With experience you'll quickly learn the best sequence for your motor.