Lift kits and towing stabililty question....

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic, so here goes.

Currently looking for a tow rig for my 23 Cobalt. Although I haven't weighed it, it should come in at around 5600 loaded ( a friend has a similar boat...dry weight, etc)

I am a cheapo, and am scouring craiglist. My towing is VERY minimal (seasonal in/out-occasional service) for short distances under 20 miles. This vehicle will also act as a spare.

That said, I have come across several trucks in my cheapo price range....and one has a relatively small 3 inch lift kit installed.

How does this effect towing, if at all? Reduce capacity, increase instability? Etc?

Just trying to narrow my focus and all information helps......

Thanks, Ted

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lift kits and towing stabililty question....

There are a lot of variables in this question:
A. The weight of the tow vehicle..
B. The wheel base of the tow vehicle..
C. The diameter of the anti-sway bars ( if any ) and their location...
D. The quality of the springs and shocks used for the lift..
E. Although you stated 3 inches in your post, The overall height will make a difference....

That all qualified, Generally speaking, as the lift gets taller the ability to tow decreases because of the extra leverage applied to the leaf springs and their associated bushings. The lateral torgue of a trailer creates a fish tail effect.
Also, when looking at the bigger tires associated with lifted trucks, the higher sidewalls have less stability.:)

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Don't sweat a 3" inch lift!

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, when looking at the bigger tires associated with lifted trucks, the higher sidewalls have less stability.:)

I had anticipated much of what you wrote, and agree with the higher sidewalls, less stability observation.

Wheel base is unknown as I have not purchased anything yet. That said, I'm not looking for a Crew Cab and 8 foot bed. Much harder to turn. My towing will mostly be short distance, low speed and infrequent.

I believe given the towing capacity of most V8 1/2 ton trucks, a 3 inch lift, if done well, should pose no serious threat to my type of towing.

Any other opinions or experiences welcome....and thanks for your replies....Ted

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't sweat a 3" inch lift!

^ what he said...

I personally would only get concerned when I had to drop the hitch far...I've seen guys with jacked up rigs, that use a drop hitch that reaches down 12+ inches...

Thats where I see unnessesary molments (torque) being applied to the towing vehicle...

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The only real issue with that small of a lift is the rake of the vehicle. Most trucks have some rake built in so that when a load is put on them they go level. If the lift was installed to level the truck when a load is put on the front may raise and give a negative rake. I have a 04 Titan that I level the front with a 2" lift. When I load to capacity (about twice a year hauling wood) the front end does come up quite a bit and I have to slow down because steering becomes more unstable.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

speaking as someone who has had many lifted vehicles in the past and present. a 3" lift is nothing. the only thing to worry about concerning the towing would be if larger tires were installed, did they change the gear ratio. if the gear ratio was not changed your tow capacity goes down fast with larger tires. Also larger tires equals greater stopping distance unless better brakes were installed.
for a 3" lift I would guess they put 33" tires on the vehicle. (I'm assuming here) if that were the case and the vehicle was a Chevy with 3.73:1 ratio you are fine. 3/4 ton would be better because of better brakes but 1/2 ton would work as well.
However if it were a Ford with a 3.08:1 rearend a V6 eng and a 5spd you are probably not going to move much of a trailer.
Basically 3" is nothing. look at the ratio. (it's not something you want to change if you were trying to keep the vehicle cheap) auto trans and 33 or smaller tires and you're good to go.
We do regular towing with a truck that has 4" lift with 33's and used to pull with a 12" lift and 40's on my old Ford.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A 3" lift will sure come in handy at launch time.