Raccoons in the attic

Jeep Man

Commander
I just got a call from my neighbor at the cottage. She informed me that a momma raccoon has moved into the attic of the the add-on storage room at the back and set up house with her family. My neighbor thinks they have been inside the cottage but she's not sure yet. I haven't been up there yet as the snow is now gone. Will the critters move out on their own? At what point will this happen, if ever? What's the best method to move them out, other than a shotgun (too messy)?
I'm not looking forward to spring opening. I got a bad feeling about this. On top of this, she told me that my boat cover didn't hold up to test of a 5 foot snowfall. Yuck.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Raccoons in the attic

What's the best method to move them out, other than a shotgun (too messy)?

Ayuh,... Leg-hold traps,+ a .22.....

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Seriously Jeep, professional exterminators fashion one-way exits for the animals and attach them temporarily to the structure, when they locate the entrance-way the critters use...the trap is fashioned on-sight out of wire mesh...I watched an episode about it on Dirty Jobs for squirrel infestation...when they know the critters are gone , entrance damage must be repaired when the fixture is removed
....not sure I would leave the damage repair to the exterminator...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just remember ....... if it's Momma and you trap her and evacuate...... don't forget the kit's. They usually stay with the mother up to 9 months!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Call your local Fish and Game department. They use catch alive traps, then relocate them somewhere else. Most of the time the game wardens are eager to help out.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For future reference, a few mothballs will discourage critters from moving in.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For future reference, a few mothballs will discourage critters from moving in.

Could work but don't do like most people, go in tha attic and start throwing them around. Eventually you will want the mothballs out of there and then you can't find them. Just put them in a can place them around the attic.
Also ammonia has been used to drive them out as well. Soak a rag and put it in a can. Put the can up in the attic.

Jeep Man

Commander

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Because of work,the most time I can spend there is a weekend, here and there until early summer. The attic is small, about 14'x14', doesn't have an access point (until now) and is only about 2' high at the highest point. I don't relish the thought of opening up the roof as I re-shingled just last year. What to do, what to do.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Let them live in the attic and once they are all old enough to move then do the eviction.......