400 stringer water problems!!

78_z28

Cadet
Ok guys

Here we go i have a 4 cylinder omc with a 400 stringer, i have removed the stren drive as i was getting water, not oil.. dripping from the inspection cover on the flywheel. I remover the upper drive shaft thinking it would be the seals in the drive shaft. not it was dry as a bone. I then hooked up a garden hose to the drain plug on the block and ran water into the engine hoping it was maybe a frost plug and again i was wrong. The water drips out when in the lake but not on the muffs in the driveway. The boot is not leaking and i put more silacone around the shift cable than needed so it is not leaking from their. Any ideas welcome and appreaciated as i have no more ideas. Oh ya i have the repair manual and have read it cover to cover in hopes of finding this annoying drip that seems to keep atting worse.

Thanks in advance guys and girls..:):confused:

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 400 stringer water problems!!

unique a water cooled flywheel?? now thats different.. Only leaks while in the water..Ok better get your self a good inspection mirror and a bright flashlight.
and dip it back in the water moter off .and let the search begin. you probably leave it on the trailor. for the entire inspection.. Let us know what you find, good luck.:)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I had a tiny pinhole in the hose from the drive up to the engine once. Couldn't see anything wet up high, but was dripping off the tin cover.

Other than that, water does pass through the intermediate housing.
Could be corroded through.

If you can figure out how to block the trunnions, you could pressure test the water passage of the intermediate with 5 or 10 psi back through the hose to test it.

2 pieces of gasket material under the water directors would actually block it off really easily I'd think

78_z28

Cadet

Hello,

i am going to pull the engine Saturday i think it might be the core plugs on he back on the engine. I have pressurized the system and nothing. If the core plugs are good then i will be looking at the housing to see if it is the problem. The only problem i have is i live in the middle of no where and parts are hard to come by. The Great Canadain North..I am loking for a boot part # 909527 A and the local dealer can't find one. E-Bay again i guess.

Does anyone know if a intermediate housing from a 1974 would be the same as a 1978? Maybe i can just change the gears from one to the other?

Thanks Jim

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Your dealer is a numbskull, the boot is in stock at BRP
0909527 SEAL TRANSOM 1 $138.85 USD Available
or Napa part 18-2768 for a Sierra boot. Napa can get the stuff from the sierra catalog
Any marina can order the OEM boot from BRP, or amkt from the sierra catalog, or the GLM catalog.

"can't find" = "haven't paid my bill to BRP"

Or, order your stuff from iboats. They ship out of Windsor, ON

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Does anyone know if a intermediate housing from a 1974 would be the same as a 1978? Maybe i can just change the gears from one to the other?

pretty sure the 74 would be slightly annoyingly different. It might work. I know the trunnion to ball gear dimensions are all the same.
the hole for the shift cable would be too small as 74 was electric shift.

no gears in the intermediate. just a shaft and 2 tapered roller bearings.

78_z28

Cadet

Ok,

I have never had one of these apart, so the intermediate housing has no gears? ....But it does have a water passage right? ....I have a feeling if it ain't the frost plug on the back of the engine, it is going to be the intermediate housing that has sprung a leak. I will order the part from I-boats because the dealer here is UAP NAPA and he don't sell to many boat parts ...Thanks for the info.

Jim

78_z28

Cadet

Ok Guys

I just reinstalled the engine, while i had it out i changed the manifold, it was cracked ..about 3 inchs... So now the engine is back in the boat and i started it tonight and to my dismay a drip drip drip from the flywheel cover. Frost plugs on the back of the engine are ok the only thing i can think of now is to change the flywheel housing that the water passage connects to .....this will mean the egine comes out again.:( .....

Now where to find one of these in a town of 1000 ppl. Wish me luck.