New Boat Questions

daspin

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all
I first want to thank those that helped me last summer sort through a couple problems I had with my boat so my family could enjoy it. Also, I posted not long ago about a used Stingray I was looking at and thanks to the posters here, I decided against its purchase. Well, after getting sick of searching for the perfect used boat, I broke down and bought a new 2010 Bayliner 195. I know some are not fans of Bayliners, but in this price point I am so happy and excited to get her. I really think she is a beautiful boat. I am only a year into being a boater and still pretty green so wanna pick your guys brains a bit here.

The boat I got was the standard 4.3 (190HP) and pick it up next Tuesday. The salesman said the boat should do about 50MPH. I would first like to know you guys think this is accurate as it played a large role in my purchase. Also, in regards to props. What kind of prop should I get if I want to increase the top speed and how much should I expect? What about a prop for better holeshot?

I'd also like to know the experience of anyone with a similar boat and engine in regards to their watersports. I want to be able to pull an adult on skis and was told I would be able to do this easily.

This being my first brand new toy. I want to make sure I treat her right. Any advice on maintenance on how to keep it in the best shape and running and looking great for years?

Lastly, when I pick up the boat it is not waxed. They said they would do it for a fee but I figure it's something I can handle myself. What wax would you reccommend? How many coats should I do? Any Dos and Dont's to the art of boat waxing?

Thanks so much guys!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: New Boat Questions

That's a fine boat. Take care of it and it'll last you a lifetime.

Follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and you should be fine. Keep it garaged when not in use and you'll be better than fine. If you can't keep it well covered. The sun on the outside will make it old looking in no time, and water in the bilge will shorten the life of the floor.

Wax with the best auto wax you can find. Mothers or Mequirs works for me.

50 mph may be a slight stretch, but it'll be close. The dealer should know best what prop to use, but then again many dealers just sell boats, they are not boaters themselves. I would ask to see performance curves. If they don't have them, contact Bayliner. A lower pitch will give you a better holeshot, but don't expect to increase speed with a different prop.

Have fun.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

agreed, 50 mph on a GPS probably isn't going to happen, not with a reasonable prop on it. 50 on the in dash speedo, certainly possible. Some are accurate, some are wildly inaccurate.

daspin

Seaman Apprentice

Oh so just an auto wax? See I learn something new EVERY time I come here!! I thought I needed a special marine wax..

Thanks for the other tips. In regards to the water in the bilge ruining the floor.. Not sure I understand that? How can that ruin the floor? The floor is fiberglass with snap in carpet. Is there wood under the fiberglass that rots you mean??

You think the 4.3 190HP will pull a skiier out of the water without problems on this boat?

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

congrat on the new boat.... post some pictures when you get her.

As for the motor size... it should easily pull an adult skier. i have the same motor and mine does great with a 3 blade 21pitch prop...

but it you want the best whole shot and dont care about speed as much... get a 4 or 5 blade prop.

As for top speed my boat is the same size probably a little heavier, and will do 46mph on the GPS

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Even fiberglass can start to rot with water after time...granted, as long as you keep it clean and dry, that's not something you will need to worry about.

As far as pulling a skier, you will definitely be fine! You dont have the most powerful boat on the water, but you will have no problems pulling up even the heaviest of us skiers! (with no problem might I addEDIT: I realize how redundant this is after a second read =)...

One thing the others didnt mention...I would follow the break in period requirements pretty well...that can really change the life of that 4.3. On the flip side, that engine has been tried and tested and can surely pass the test of time. Like jim said, that boat can last a lifetime.

Like others have said, I doubt you will see the big 50 on the GPS, but you will see 45.5 - 47 I bet...after you leave it WOT for a little and trim it out correct.

Lastly, I would leave the prop that merc will have on there...they build the engine, they know what it needs, and until your completely familiar with it, I dont think you should worry about replacing it... After you have some time, you'll know if you want that "bit more of hole shot" or just a tad quicker at the top end, but a lot goes into the prop, infact, there's an entire section on this forum for prop types/blad ect ect.

Lastly, congrats on the buy! Perfect timing for the water, and you'll truly enjoy that boat!

daspin

Seaman Apprentice

congrat on the new boat.... post some pictures when you get her.

As for the motor size... it should easily pull an adult skier. i have the same motor and mine does great with a 3 blade 21pitch prop...

but it you want the best whole shot and dont care about speed as much... get a 4 or 5 blade prop.

As for top speed my boat is the same size probably a little heavier, and will do 46mph on the GPS

THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO HEAR!!! 46 MPH is fast enough for me.. If I can get that, then I'm happy. Thats with a standard prop? My boat is 3020 lbs. I think theres a bit more added with the fiberglass floor option though that I got.

I'll definitely post some pics when I get it. I went with the Black strip option with all black covers. Was just more my style. I'm dying to get it. I bought her last Friday. A little dissapointed I have to wait so long until next Tuesday (Another week) to get her when the boat is already at the dealership. They need to detail it and the shop is booked I am told.

Alright, so lets pick your guys brain a bit farther. All last summer my neighbor laughed at me because he says I park on the wrong side of my dock. If looking from land, I park on the left side of dock with steering wheel away from dock. Reason I do this is the current always runs one way on my lake, and this keeps my boat away from the dock all the time. He says I should be on the other side. Why does this matter? I mean..Who cares, right?

Now let's talk fenders. Any specific size I should buy to best protect my boat on the docks?

daspin

Seaman Apprentice

Even fiberglass can start to rot with water after time...granted, as long as you keep it clean and dry, that's not something you will need to worry about.

As far as pulling a skier, you will definitely be fine! You dont have the most powerful boat on the water, but you will have no problems pulling up even the heaviest of us skiers! (with no problem might I add)...

One thing the others didnt mention...I would follow the break in period requirements pretty well...that can really change the life of that 4.3. On the flip side, that engine has been tried and tested and can surely pass the test of time. Like jim said, that boat can last a lifetime.

Like others have said, I doubt you will see the big 50 on the GPS, but you will see 45.5 - 47 I bet...after you leave it WOT for a little and trim it out correct.

Lastly, I would leave the prop that merc will have on there...they build the engine, they know what it needs, and until your completely familiar with it, I dont think you should worry about replacing it... After you have some time, you'll know if you want that "bit more of hole shot" or just a tad quicker at the top end, but a lot goes into the prop, infact, there's an entire section on this forum for prop types/blad ect ect.

Lastly, congrats on the buy! Perfect timing for the water, and you'll truly enjoy that boat!

Thats great advice in regard to the prop and I will follow it! Thanks!

What do you mean by break in period? And another stupid rookie question. What exactly are you referring to when you mean trim it out.. I know you mean trim the motor and I understand that.. But I hear this alot with boaters. When I rode all last summer all I ever used my trim for was at the dock.. Up at the dock..All the way down when I play. Oh, and I trimmed it to raise my bow while riding slow to better empty the bilge when the pump was on.. But what else is it for? Performance? Do you play with your trim while you are WOT? A little more insight on this would be helpful on what to do with the trim.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

All engines need a break-in period. You wouldn't think of taking a brand new car on the interstate at 75 mph for an 8 hour non-stop trip the first day you bought it. That's a good analogy because boats are often run at near full speed.

Your owners manual will detail specifics. Usually keep it below 1/2 throttle for the first hour, only short bursts at WOT for up to 10 hours, and never keep the throttle setting constant for any length of time.

Trimming the engine is a constant task. In calm water you want the water to break as far aft as possible to maximize speed and minimize fuel usage. In rough water you want as much of the boat in the water as possible to minimize pounding. Trim settings vary depending upon how many passengers you have and where they are sitting. These are rough guidelines....just play with it to meet your own performance requirements.

20" fenders should be adequate for your size boat.

You are docking the boat on the correct side for the conditions you described. If you dock on the other side of the river (current the other way)then tie up to stbd. Thats why boats have cleats on both sides. Some people are boaters, and some are just guys with a boat. And then there are neighbors....LOL. Be careful who you listen to!

daspin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much for the tips.

Ya, my neighbour makes no sense. He says you must always dock the boat on the side of the steering wheel so you can see the dock better when pulling in.. Thats his main reasoning.. I tell him its better to have it so the current keeps the boat from smashing on the dock all day..I can see the damn dock fine no matter which side I pull in on. Screw him.. I'm parking my way! lol.. He can laugh at me all summer again..

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same boat but its an 09. Ours came with a 3 blade 23p prop. Top speed was great (48-50 on gps) but hole shot was sluggish. I put on a 4 blade 21p solas amita alum prop and couldn't be happier. Still within recommended wot rpm range but hole shot is much much better with the 4 blade. Haven't noticed a drop in top speed with the new prop but the only time I opened her up was to verify that I was in the right rpm range.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the 195. It's a fun boat!

daspin

Seaman Apprentice

That helps! Thanks! knowing you have the exact same boat and are getting 48-50 makes me very happy. I'll let you know my results once I get her and launch. Gonna go with the factory prop for now, but if I notice hole shot sucks, I'll go with your reccommendation!