Installing Bimini Top?

I was wondering what all was involved with installing a bimini top. I am on my first boat (2006 bayliner 185) and I would like to put a bimini top on it. Have gotten a few quotes and it looks like I could save a couple hundred bucks doing it myself.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience with this and what your thoughts were.

Thanks.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing Bimini Top?

Its really not a hard job, my last one took a couple hours total deal. I would not reccomend mounting to the windshield one little mess up and your looking at a VERY expensive piece of glass to replace. Mount to the fiberglass just on the outside of the wrap around pieces of the windshield. You also need to decide how tall you want it to be, some don't like the looks of then if they are too tall. Most of our boating is watersports and cruising so I wanted one I could walk under without ducking down every time i get up from the seat. I took some pvc pipe and a tarp and kind of mocked one upexactly how I wanted it then took the measurements from that when I ordered. It fits right under the tower, is tall enough I can walk under it(just by 1"), and covers what I want of the deck space. I ordered from Iboats and have been very happy so far, plus spent 100's less than a tower specific bimini.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can request iBoats to send you the installation instructions in advance so you can estimate the difficulty of the job (it's not difficult if you have a basic mechanical aptitude).

Ron-O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just installed mine on my boat. Wasn't a bad job at all. All you need is a drill, the right bit, and something to bevel the holes. (Unless you want to crack the gell coat) Took me about 30 min. to drill and attach the mounts. The hardest part was deciding were to mount the extra support poles. Nice easy job. Changing spark plugs and wires took more time. :D

Ron

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ditto...easy job.....I went a step further and installed marine grade plywood under the deck to provide a little extra support/backing plates.....don't hesitate a minute in doing it yourself.

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with everyone else. I installed mine on my Starcraft and it was very easy. Once you get over the "I'm drilling a hole in my boat!" feeling it's all down hill.

Thanks for the imput guys. I farm full time so machine work is something I do every day. Boating is just new to me so I wanted to know what I was getting myself into before I jumped in with boat feet.

Looks like I will be installing a bimini top as soon as all the crops are in the ground!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Also consider installing a slide track. The track lets the top slide fore and/or aft when folded down, so it will be out of the way. Also help let it clear some obstacles on the boat like windshield, console, etc. A very useful and inexpensive device. They can be mounted on the top of the gunnel or inside, depending on your preference and boat design.

Well worth looking into.

BTW, if you read the detail info from most top manufacturers, they do not approve of operating the boat with the top up. Some boats are so fast the wind resistance can collapse the top. Something to keep in mind when choosing a top. The tops with thicker bows are stronger than thinner, and the stainless steel bows are really strong compared to the aluminum bows.