Folding trailer tongue

Bluegills Unlimited

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone ever had any experience with folding tongues for their boat trailers? If I want to garage my boat, I would need to install one.

After one close call trailering, I consider myself to be very safe and overly cautious, so I am concerned with modifying such a vital part to my trailer.

What are your opinions / experiences?

Last edited:

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: Folding trailer tongue

My trailer came with the swing away tongue and it's fairly beefy. I've never had an issue with since and store mine with the pin pulles and folded back. Aftermarket add ons are sturdy as well as long as you follow the installation instructions.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any welding/fab shop in town can modify your trailer tongue using the following picture as a guide. It will be a ton stronger than the cast units on the market. Make it as long or short as you need.

5-TrailerSwingTongue.jpg

Bluegills Unlimited

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I feel a little bit better about that, the only one I have really seen in person was a homeade job on a utility trailer that I was looking to buy.

Fishing56

Seaman

I purchased my 18ft I/O with a custom manufactored trailer with a completely removable tounge. It removes right at the point where the winch is. It allowed me to store my boat in the garage. It was custom made by RoadMaster. It slides in and out and is connected by two large pins. It also has pins for connecting the trailer lights.

Fishing56

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My Shorelander pontoon trailer (and most Shorelander trailers) are made so that the entire tongue can be removed with just a couple of bolts. Wiring disconnects are already provided. I back in the garage, put a jack stand under the frame, lower the tongue jack, remove the tongue. Since the tongue has a heavy boarding ladder built into it, I made a two-wheeled dolly to tow the entire tongue to its storage area under my deck when not in use.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a 2004 Shorelandr trailer with the oem folding tounge. I have no worries about the robustness of the swing hinge. Without the swing tounge I couldn't garage my boat. From memory, I don't recall my Shorelandr being set up to actually remove the whole tounge as someone mentioned.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your 2004 Shorelander trailer was actually shipped with the tongue removed. Look at the pocket where it enters the "Y" portion of the trailer frame. One through-bolt side-to-side and perhaps one more short bolts at the back of the pocket. The wires are inside and have quick connects on them.