Matching Thrust Bushing for 68-72 V4 Electric Shift lower

wireready

Seaman Apprentice
I like to keep a spare lower unit handy for my 1972 Johnson V4 100 100ESL72R motor. That way if it leaks or fails, I can swap lowers and worry about fixing the bad one later.

I bought a good looking spare unit on ebay. Problem is it doesn't have a thrust bushing. This gear case is slightly larger than the one on my motor, the shaft is longer by a good inch or two, and it's a straight shaft. The bushing on my other unit is too large. I tried buying a bushing but it doesn't match (slightly too large).

I went to a boat shop but he said without knowing the exact motor or exact model of the lower unit he can't match a bushing for it. I had hoped he just had a bin of old bushings, but I shot crap and went home empty handed. Is there any place on a lower unit that has a lower unit or motor model number? It looks like a good match up for a V4 1972 electric shift, bolt holes all line up- drive shaft looks the right height and type. But the prop shaft is longer and not tapered like the other ones I've run into.

But the physical size of the gear gase, skeg does look slightly larger than the one on my motor if that's any clue.

I suppose i could keep this one just for parts- but I'd sure like to put a bushing on it - because that's the only thing keeping me from having a spare.