Jack Plate

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have seen several advertised, but little by way of the hows & whys one would use one... Am new to this sort of stuff, so thought I'd ask some of you more experienced chaps for some advise and/or input...

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: Jack Plate

Hello,<br />The purpose that I'll be using a jackplate is so I can switch from jetdrive to prop drive using the same outboard. I can switch from the pump to prop by exchanging the final drive. The motor height has to be altered 5-6" between the two by adjusting the jackplate. Mine will be a manuel jackplate. Hydrolic units are as available.<br /><br />The link below is purely instuctional and explains its use as it applies to my situation.<br /><br /> http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/sepoct99/jetboard.htm

Skinnywater

Commander

Hello,<br />The purpose that I'll be using a jackplate is so I can switch from jetdrive to prop drive using the same outboard. I can switch from the pump to prop by exchanging the final drive. The motor height has to be altered 5-6" between the two by adjusting the jackplate. Mine will be a manuel jackplate. Hydrolic units are as available.<br /><br />The link below is purely instuctional and explains its use as it applies to my situation.<br /><br /> http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/sepoct99/jetboard.htm

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanx for the info and web site... Did a good job of explaining why Jet out boarders may consider use of a Jacking Plate...<br /><br />What about for other users? Is this a means of improving performance for standard propellor driven outboards?

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are 2 primary reasons for a jackplate<br /><br />1. As a device to raise and lower the motor to find the optimum propeller height for planing, top speed, or what the intended use of the boat.<br /><br />2. Some boats that are heavy in the bow need help raising it to get more hull out of the water at running speed. The jackplate moves the motor and the center of gravity further back to help achieve this.