merc 9.8 no fire

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I AM STUMPED. I have 1 1965 merc 110 9.8 hp motor good spark, good compression ( 110, 115), Will not fire . I squirted gas in each cylinder and all I get is a weak cough. plugs are gapped .025 and points are .020. This thing should run.Help !

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: merc 9.8 no fire

Have you rebuilt the carb and fuel pump? I think the plugs should be gapped at .040 also. Are you sure you have the right plugs? My old Merc takes surface gap plugs.

HD

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Have you rebuilt the carb and fuel pump? I think the plugs should be gapped at .040 also. Are you sure you have the right plugs? My old Merc takes surface gap plugs.

HD

Yours may not be as old as his... For his, my parts listing calls out J7J plugs... (not surface gap)

Chris.........

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not rebuilt any thing, just wanted to hear it fire. Plugs were wrong, so I put in some I had on hand that were j6c, I intend to get new plugs. The carb was pretty clean, diassembled it partially. Manual calls for j7j as Achris said. Can anyone tell me what carb kit and pump kit number I need. Thanks a bunch.......

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not rebuilt any thing, just wanted to hear it fire. Plugs were wrong, so I put in some I had on hand that were j6c, I intend to get new plugs. The carb was pretty clean, diassembled it partially. Manual calls for j7j as Achris said. Can anyone tell me what carb kit and pump kit number I need. Thanks a bunch.......

Need the serial number to find the kits you need. Boats.net has the parts and their site is easy to navigate.

HD

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Serial # 1745101, found carb kit, cant seem to find fuel pump kit.......

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Huntin dawg. Part 9 is obsolete, I suppose I could reuse old one ?

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O.K. I rebuilt carb and pump. Still wont run. It fired up and ran for a minute then quit.

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a runner ! new coils,rebuilt carb. Thanks to all.