Troubleshooting Leak in Starcraft Jupiter???

MarkNY

Seaman Apprentice
i know this topic comes up quite a bit but i could really use some suggestions. my boat is leaking and i think ive narrowed it down to the keels, both the center and right side. i havent been able to narrow it down to any particular rivets. would it be worth it to remove all of the rivets from the keel, seal the keel with 3M 5200 and re-rivet the keel? id like to use SS nuts and bolts except that i have a new deck in the boat and cannot get to the inside of the boat without ripping out the deck. would a closed end blind rivet be strong enough? any help/suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, mark

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Troubleshooting Leak in Starcraft Jupiter???

i know this topic comes up quite a bit but i could really use some suggestions. my boat is leaking and i think ive narrowed it down to the keels, both the center and right side. i havent been able to narrow it down to any particular rivets. would it be worth it to remove all of the rivets from the keel, seal the keel with 3M 5200 and re-rivet the keel? id like to use SS nuts and bolts except that i have a new deck in the boat and cannot get to the inside of the boat without ripping out the deck. would a closed end blind rivet be strong enough? any help/suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, mark

They use solid rivets. I wouldn't want to use a closed end blind rivet for concerns about integrity. If it was me I'd pull up the deck and rebuck all the rivets, then use gluvit on them and all seams. How hard is it to pull the deck again? There's a huge starcraft group in the restoration forum, I have a nassau I also rebuilt.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do not remove rivets..... Erik said it above.... re-buck the rivets then use a treatment of gluvit.

Andy in NY

Commander

i will add a +1 to the advice so far.

i would suggest tearing the deck out. even if its in good shape, its not much work to put a new one in. with some determination, the whole thing can be done in a weekend... use gluvit to coat the inside of the hull at the keel and seams after rebucking any loose rivets.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there's just a couple rivets that are obviously loose you can use a "Cherrymax" rivet, that is structural, solid stem, pull rivet with a lock to replace them. They cost about 75 cents a piece. If I was you, I would put the plug in it, level the boat and put water in it and see where it's running out. I found some interesting places mine is leaking from the last rain storm!

5 speed