power trim not opperating

98glastron

Recruit
I have a 98 glastron with a 135 4 cylinder engine, Alpha One out drive.

The power trim will trim up but not down. When i engage the down button it just clicks.... sometimes it will work but it is one in a thousand.

I know it is NOT the pump. I can jumper it and it works fine.

I know it is NOT the button. I jumper to the solenoid and it still clicks.

Here is where im confused. I ordered a new solenoid and put it on and it still did not opperate. Is it possible that i got a bad solenoid?

I even switched all the wires so that the UP solenoid was now used to lower and vice versa... and sure enough, i have the same problem but in reverse...which leads me back to the though of did i get a bad solenoid?

Is there some other adjustment or part that could be causing this?

Im kinda lost and pulling my hair out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: power trim not opperating

Head up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of the forum. There are free OEM service manual downloads. Find manual #14 and download it. Then turn to section 1C. You will find detailed troublshooting and wiring diagrams for your trim system. Should be easy to track down the problem

Welcome to iboats.

gustaria

Petty Officer 3rd Class

same drive exact same problem, it was the ground wire that connects from th engine to the outdrive.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

same drive exact same problem, it was the ground wire that connects from th engine to the outdrive.

May be, but it could also be some other things. That is why you troubleshoot instead of just check what has caused others the problem and ask some more. That is called trial and error.

gustaria

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you right but dang. I found it by accident when I was trying to fiqure out that starter problem

98glastron

Recruit

Guys...thanks for the advice...after looking at the schematics I got here, i was much more confident... and sure enough, i got a new/bad solenoid.. the guy at the parts store says it happens, more than it should!

Now, one of ya wanna tell me why my speedometer is not working? :D

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now, one of ya wanna tell me why my speedometer is not working? :D[/QUOTE]

On your drive, which should be an Alpha 1 Gen 2, look on the front of the lower unit, should be a small hole which could be plugged up with something.