2 quick ?'s

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Did a compression check today on a 1989 evinrude 40 hp. I have read that it is most important that the cylinders are within 1o % of one another and they were. Both were at 115. My ? is the 115 is that a good #, in other words too high or to low. Also upon checking my plugs several times they have been wet so what does that mean. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 quick ?'s

Probably means you should quit checking your plugs. Worrying about wet plugs went out the window with modern outboards and CD ignition systems with super cold plugs. Does it run well?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Try a hotter plug. Those compression numbers are good for a motor that's 21 years old.

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You asked if it ran well. Top speed is 32 mph at 5000 rpm's. Is that about normal or what?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would check the throttle linkage and make sure the carbs are opening up all the way, at the WOT position. Linc and sinc may need adjusting. Also, make sure your plugs are correct. I had an old Johnson 5.5hp one time that would only go half throttle, because I had a pair of J4C spark plugs in it. I put some old J6J's in it, out of my old Zephyr, and it was a totally different motor. Plugs do make a difference.:cool: