Mercruiser 470 starters

davidt71

Recruit
I have twin 1982 470 Mercruisers. My staters don't seem to last very long. I put 2 starters on last summer and had to replace both in December. Now, after 4-5 trips, one has gone out again. I have replaced all of my battery cables and upgraded my batteries to 1,000 cranking amp batteries but still having problem. My mechanic is putting on remanufactured starters and not brand new ones.

chiefmike58

Seaman
Re: Mercruiser 470 starters

davidt71, I also have twin 470s and go through starters at a constant pace. I now just take them to a local starter/generator rebuilding place instead of the Mercruiser$$$$$$$route. I even always keep a spare on board.

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are your starters getting submerged in bilge water? This is the most common cause of starters dying.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

I think you'll find that you can't buy new marine starters for this engine. I've had marginal luck from my most competant starter motor repair shop on these units. Mercruiser only offers re-mans for this unit. It's the only way I've been able to get 'em working correctly.

davidt71

Recruit

I found out that my ring gear had some bad teeth on it which caused my starter to go out. My concern is that my Mercruiser dealer replaced the ring gear earlier this year and then put on the rebuilt starter. Any ideas why a ring gear would go out so soon??????

chiefmike58

Seaman

Did you ever try and start the engine when it was already running. That will damage it right away. Another reason would be a sluggish starter not engaging fully, grinding teeth down.

Trent

Captain

Need to make sure that the starter gears and the flywheel gears are correct! They are a mated set.

langford7

Cadet

Hey everyone.... I have a 1984 Del Magic with the 470 in it. I know, I know, its a 470. But anyway, hers my question. If the stater is going bad will the engine crank slow? I read another post regarding engines cranking slow and all the test and tips to determine what it is, but no straight answer if the starter is bad the engine will crank slow. Seeing you guy's are going thru them like crazy you guy's could give a straight answer before I spend more money.

Thanks,

Billy