Seascape V-hull deck replacement

bugzy_1

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,
Been reading the repair forums , looks like U guys might have some good insight/experience in the project I'm working on.
My wifes freinds mother gave me her late husbands 17' Seascape V-hull w/ trailer. It is a nice little Cuddy cab w/ a120 mercruiser stern drive. Motor runs and the lower drive seems to be in good shape so I'm planning on restoring her. I own a cabinet/ fabrication shop so the carpentry is no problem but I could use a little advice on the fiber glassing techniques. I have work with it many years ago but I'm still a little shakey on some points. I plan to use 1/2'' marine ply w/ 6oz. cloth/epoxy resin for the deck and 3/4'' for the stringers. I plan to seal EVERYTHING w/ glass/ resin. My first question is Should I bed the stringers / deck in epoxy to attach them to the hull and then glass over them? The manufacturer did NOT appear to have done this, but i thought it would make a stronger bond. Will this make the connections TOO rigid??
Will try to send some pics of the project, I have allready torn out the old deck/stringers/foam and am preping for new.
I have found that a masonry cut off blade works quite well to cut through the old glass/ resin, I made a small table for my grinder that kept the blade 1/2'' deep and 1/4'' from the edge of the table. This helped keep the blade from cutting too far/deep into the deck.
Well thats it for now, will keep Ya'll posted!
Oh Ya, B.T.W. Marine grade ply IS a far better grade of material to use. It is stonger, lighter, flatter than other types of plywood. BUT it is NO more water resistant than any other exterior grade ply!!

TXREDNECK

Cadet
Re: Seascape V-hull deck replacement

Sounds like u know what you're doing. The only area of concern I've learned on this forum is where the stringer touches the hull or deck touches the hull. Look into this on these forums, there is a lot of talk about it.