Jack Plate Install/motor hoist question

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am being given a jack plate for my 1986 Ranger 373v with Evinrude XP150 sitting on the back.

My question is how hard are these to install? The guy giving it to me said he was charged approx $100 by a Boat shop about 45miles away to install it on his boat back when he got it. I just called a shop I sometimes use and the lady quoted me at 4hrs labor @ $70 an hour and said I'd likely have to replace control cables and possibly steering cables. When I look online the few things I've found seem to say, just unbolt the motor without unhooking any cables and pull the motor back, then bolt the jack plate to the transom, then bolt the engine to the jackplate. They say it takes about an hour or so. What gives??

I have acess to an engine hoist as well as a neighbor that has a 1200lb electric hoist hanging from his garage, he uses to clean deer.

What I am unsure about is where to hook onto my engine to hoist it, seems like there should be an eye somewhere to attach a hook, but maybe my engine doesn't have one.

Also, any idea of approx weight of this motor??

Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Jack Plate Install/motor hoist question

Okay..... you "might" need longer cables and that is a factor. The easiest way I have found is to wrap lifting straps around the motor..... be real careful it is top heavy.

You will have 4 bolts that hold the motor on and you should disconnect the cables and steering as you do this to give you room to work.

4 hours labor :eek: LMAO maybe counting beverages.... an hour including breaks too! :D

MASTER Brian

Bob, thanks for the reply. I couldn't believe 4hrs, I can't even really believe 2hrs. I just had a steering cable replaced while at the lake this past week and it took him maybe 3 hrs from the time I dropped it off until the time he called and had it ready and he actually did remove the motor as well. Too bad I didn't have the jack plate at that time. I am also pretty sure he didn't immediately start working on my boat, even though he did squeeze me in since I was from out of town fishing a tournament there.

I finally saw where they lift the motor from and I think I can make something up to do this. I'll be looking through my scrap bin(s) tonight.

I guess the other question is what type of loctight should I use? ....and how tight do I tighten the nut? ....do I just crank them as tight as I can or should I torque them?

Last question, how does one determine how high to set the motor? Do I place it in the water and watch water pressure guage or do it dry?

The plate is a Rite-Hite by RM Industries Inc. I have called them and left a message for someone to call me back, so I'll see if that happens and what they say, but I don't know much about these. This one appears to have a large bolt that turns up/down in the center of the two sections to bring the motor up or down.

I am also guessing the side with the silicone and fiberglass bits probably goes towards my hull.... I'll try to get some pics later!

Thanks again for help on this. The shop that said, maybe 2hrs didn't think I would need new cables for a 6" plate, but they are about 1hr away each way, which basically means 4hrs of driving for about 1-2 hrs of work. I rebuilt this powerhead, I would think I could install a jackplate with a bit of help here!

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just mounted a 150hp Yamaha motor on my CMC jack plate. The motor has a lifting "U" shaped bracket under the cowl. I just hooked my cherry picker on the bracket a lifted the motor. You may want to check your motor to see if it too has a lifting bracket.

MASTER Brian

I can't fnd a bracket mounted to my motor anywhere. It finally occured to me to look in the manual for my motor and it shows something that looks like a flywheel puller mounted to the top of the flywheel with a big eye bolt in the center for a hook to hook onto.

What I can't figure out is that it looks like the jack plate I have won't raise the motor any more than it currently sits...it looks like it will instead just lower it. Am I missing something?

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Lots of ways to do it properly, if I was doing it alone I would use a lifting ring that goes into the crankshaft...I bought one later specifically for that.

However when I put the TH Marine 6" manual jackplate on my 90HP Merc I got two buddy's and using a log under the motor skeg to support it I unbolted the motor from the transom. While my two buddies held the motor upright I moved the boat away far enough away then using the tongue jack to adjust the height I inserted the jackplate and got the bolts started.

Took 1 hour from start to finish but my cables and steering cable were plenty long enough so that wasn't an issue.

MASTER Brian

Lots of ways to do it properly, if I was doing it alone I would use a lifting ring that goes into the crankshaft...I bought one later specifically for that.

However when I put the TH Marine 6" manual jackplate on my 90HP Merc I got two buddy's and using a log under the motor skeg to support it I unbolted the motor from the transom. While my two buddies held the motor upright I moved the boat away far enough away then using the tongue jack to adjust the height I inserted the jackplate and got the bolts started.

Took 1 hour from start to finish but my cables and steering cable were plenty long enough so that wasn't an issue.

Did you use any locktite and how tight did you do the bolt?

MASTER Brian

Ok, I think I figured out why I thought it would only lower the motor....it looks like it was installed backwards on the last persons boat. I say this because one side has silicone and fiberglass strands still adhered to the jack plate. Installing it that way would lower the motor, not raise it and I called the manufacturer and they were kind enough to send me a blueprint for the jack plate and the bolts and from their diagram the way it appears it was last installed is not correct.

Now for my dilema, the transom mount studs are installed on the wrong side. I might be able to remove them, but I am not sure if they can be easily salvaged. Then the studs that it calls for to mount the motor are missing. The manufacturer doesn't carry the stud/bolt kit any longer, but like I said, they sent me the blueprint for the studs. I asked why I couldn't just use bolts and he said he couldn't recommend that for legality reasons.

So my question, what would it hurt to find bolts that would work? The material used is 303 stainless and I called a local machine shop to inquire about having bolts made and he said I'd likely be looking at $150-200 to have them made because of machine setup charges!!! He told me of a local shop that he buys all sorts of bolts at and they are my next call, but I don't want to buy bolts and install them if that is a bad idea! Like they say, you get what you pay for and in this case, this was free....

Any suggestions??

I'm about at the stage where I'm thinking of saving my pennies and buying a new unit and maybe springing for a hydraulic one!! Somehow, this has become a must have for me!

Bob_VT

Staff member

Go to a dealer and get some engine mounting bolts which are fine thread or go to a good hardware store and get some stainless steel bolts which will probably be coarse thread, some stainless fender washers and lock nuts (Nylocks). Mounting bolts are 1/2" x4" and I will bet the bolts at a hardware store with nuts and washers will be over $20 (for all)

MASTER Brian

Go to a dealer and get some engine mounting bolts which are fine thread or go to a good hardware store and get some stainless steel bolts which will probably be coarse thread, some stainless fender washers and lock nuts (Nylocks). Mounting bolts are 1/2" x4" and I will bet the bolts at a hardware store with nuts and washers will be over $20 (for all)

I would gladly do that, but hopefully these pics make sense. I am trying to attach the blue print they sent me of the bolts, I crossed out the ones that aren't for my application. I actually have the transom bolts, they are a bit long, but will work. They are shown in one of the pics attached to the jack plate, but on the wrong side according to the diagram I was sent by the company. I think the previous installer installed this so it would lower the motor, not raise the motor. Don't understand that!!

The problem is the jack plate is drilled and tapped for 9/16-12UNC bolts/studs. So I need that size to go into the jackplate, but I need 1/2-20UNF bolts to go through the engine and transom. See the problem??

Attachments

• jackplate1.JPG
    jackplate1.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • studs1.JPG
    studs1.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Staff member

If you can get to the inside of the plate and there is room for a 1/2" bolt ...... can you drill out the stud holes and use a bolt.... is there room??

MASTER Brian

If you can get to the inside of the plate and there is room for a 1/2" bolt ...... can you drill out the stud holes and use a bolt.... is there room??

Nope, drilling out the stud holes would drill directly into the motor and transom rails, where the plate goes up and down. I'll be heading to a machine shop in a little while to see what they say, but it's looking like I'll be buying a different plate or holding off and searching for an answer.

MASTER Brian

Any reason why you can't get the original studs from the mfg? Obviously they make their own parts from the size of their machine shop and CNC equipment list.

http://www.rmind.com/manufacturing.html

http://www.rmind.com/index.php#

I wish I could get them to do it, but the person I spoke with said they no longer carry them and sent me the blueprint, so I could try to find someone to make them. I've checked several machine shops and so far, I'm looking at about $20-30 per stud and I need 4 studs. I understand setup, etc is expensive, but that's not cost effective for me, considering I can get a brand new jack plate for $200-$300. I'd spend about $50 for the studs, just can't justify any more than that for a 10yr old jack plate.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class

Based on your last reply, maybe it would be best to sell that jack plate and use the proceeds towards a new one. Otherwise you have no choice but to pay for custom made studs. Probably not what you wanted to hear but ...

MASTER Brian

Based on your last reply, maybe it would be best to sell that jack plate and use the proceeds towards a new one. Otherwise you have no choice but to pay for custom made studs. Probably not what you wanted to hear but ...

You want to buy it??

I am actully pretty much thinking that way. I might hold off a while to see what turns up. I am checking to make sure that the person that gave it to me, through a friend, doesn't have the bolts laying around. I might also wait a while to see if I can think of someone that I might know that could make one. I live in a town with lots of aircraft manufacturing and it's just a matter of time to find someone capable with the abilities to turn a few of these out for me... With my luck, it will be the day AFTER I buy a new one!!

The sad part, is I wasn't even wanting one until this one was given to me!!

MASTER Brian

If it wasn't for the jackplate being tapped for a 9/16" thread I could just use a 1/2" bolt. Without the studs, the only way I can see making this work is drilling out the 1/2" holes on the motor's mounting bracket to 9/16" and using a bolt. Even though it's only 1/16 of an inch difference, something tells me that isn't a good idea on a 150hp motor.

I guess it might work for someone with a smaller motor or that doesn't mind taking that chance....

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a CMC jack plate that holds a Yammi 150hp using 1/2" stainless steel bolts. The point being is that 1/2" bolts will hold your 150hp motor...no problem-o ;)

386258556.jpg

MASTER Brian

I have a CMC jack plate that holds a Yammi 150hp using 1/2" stainless steel bolts. The point being is that 1/2" bolts will hold your 150hp motor...no problem-o ;)

It's not that I'm worried about 1/2" bolts holding it, it's that the jack plate is drilled and tapped to accept a 9/16" stud. So the only way to use a 9/16" bolt would be to drill out the motors mounting holes from 1/2" to 9/16". Not going to happen.....

The way it's designed I can't drill out the jack plate and use bolts, because it'd drill right through the channel which raises and lowers the unit.

MASTER Brian

One of my thoughts is contacting a vo tec or college that teaches this and see what they might be willing to do if I provide the blue print and the material!!