OMC Cobra Shifting HELP PLEASE!

Mish_Mish

Cadet
I have 89 OMC 302 with Cobra outdrive and recently I had to replace gakets on the outdrive lower and upper units. Now my boat shifts funny, it does not go out of the forward when shifted back to neutral half the time. Also it makes grinding and rattling noise when Forward is engaged and if I do not give it some gas engine dies on idle, but if I gas it a little is engages further and runs well. Anyways, I think I need to adjust the shift rod to a proper length, but my Clymer manual does not say how much I need to unbolt it to the perfect height, it tells me to use some kind of OMC measuring rod/tool. If someone know how many turns I have to bring it out, or what the length of it should be on neutral I would very much appreciate it. If you have this tool, please let me know what it's total length is.<br />Thanks<br />mike

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: OMC Cobra Shifting HELP PLEASE!

here we go again. there's a web site for cobra shifting problems. go to this forum's search. type in stuart. click on the post dated may 17. the link is there. get your printer ready, you'll need it. as far as the special tool, that issue is addressed there. good luck.

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mish Mish, here is the site Sea Wolf refers to.<br />This site is not always up, so you may need to try different days & times. I am still trying to access this site myself.<br /> http://24.100.132.109/stuarthastings/index.htm <br /><br />Hope this helps.<br />If I don't succeed this week, I will ask an "iboats" administrator to check for a current e - address for this individual.<br />Mike.

Mish_Mish

Cadet

Thank you guys!<br />I will wait until this site goes up and print what I can. I think I just fixed it though:)<br />I went outisde and started playing with it until I noticed that the "Overstroke Switch" was not alligned and because of that when forward gear engaged engine started to stall, vibrate and rattle until I'd give it some gas. I fixed the switch position and now it is back to normal.<br />Local shops refuse to work on OMC except for one, but this one is way too busy and important for me, so I have to do my own rebuilds.<br />I also alligned the Forward gear disengagement by adding little spring to the shifter assembly on the throttle body, now it returns cable to the perfect neutral as it should be.<br /><br />One thing I like in OMC, the parts are cheaper than imaginable, the other thing is the power, my $3500 boat runs 50+ mph!<br /><br />Thank you very much for all your help.

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well you got me beat there, mine only goes 33 WOT

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you have Clymer manual isbn 0-89267-610-7look on page 464 in section 14 transom assembly. For a proper adjustment the outdrive has to be off. All movement of cables and controls should work smooth as silk.

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

THanks to Mr Hastings for your web site.<br />I had to try a few times before it was up.<br />Very infromative and a little disconcerting for us the cobra owners who try to maintain our boats. Not too sure my 87 3.0L is up to date but I now have the literature to inspect properly.<br />For now, everything is Ok but I will also invest in a manual as per CLANTON.<br />Thanks,<br />Mike.

Mish_Mish

Cadet

The site is up and it is bursting with all kinds of vital info!<br />I had no idea that my boat's shifting is to hard, sonow I am going to investigate what causes it.<br />My transom shift cable seems to be red, so it must be one of the new cables.<br />I know that my boat just reached 100 hours all together (it sat for 7 years in the storage), so I hope it is not too late for my "faulty" gears:)

Slayer

Recruit

Mish<br />I have the same problem and am trying to get the website you guys were refering to.<br />PLease contact me

Mish_Mish

Cadet

I have downloaded all info from this site and printed it. Sometimes this site does come up, so please keep trying. I will look it up on my computer and let you know if I still have the data. It helped me a lot with my cobra, also replacing shift iterrupt module was a nice touch.<br />I just checked this site and it worked: http://www.funkopolis.com:8080/~stuart/cobra/ <br />GO THERE QUICK!

cpep37

Recruit

Mish Mish, here is the site Sea Wolf refers to.<br />This site is not always up, so you may need to try different days & times. I am still trying to access this site myself.<br /> http://24.100.132.109/stuarthastings/index.htm <br /><br />Hope this helps.<br />If I don't succeed this week, I will ask an "iboats" administrator to check for a current e - address for this individual.<br />Mike.

hello this is my first time to this site and the info has been worth million dollars to me just knowing this site exist. i have a 1987 4.3 omc and i am having the same problem with shifting. went out last week for first time and went to put in gear and it felt like it did not want to go in gear and when it did it did not feel like it ingaged right gears not mashing togather right and when i was moving slowly felt alot of viabration in lower unit if that makes sense. this is the first time this has ever happen do i need to adjust t cables

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Uh, this thread is 7 years old. Folks posting on years old threads seems to happening more frequently as of late. I suggest you start a new one.