Best way to adjust speed control linkage Force 125

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey All

Now that the head gasket is replaced and the engine runs I need to adjust the speed control linkage because the previous owner must have messed with the settings because the gasket was blown and they had no clue.

I have followed the manual to line the cam markings up to the roller, I removed the Neutral cable because it has cracks in it so I cleaned it up and made sure it moved freely when curved, taped her up put it back on.

The issue I have is when it is in Neutral and I go forward and then back to center the engine does not return to full idle.

I am assuming I need to adjust the cable from the front of the boat with someone in the rear ?

john from md

Commander
Re: Best way to adjust speed control linkage Force 125

The basic setup is done without the engine running. You set up the carblinkage and then adjust the cable to the ball on the engine.

Next, you go to the dock, tie the boat fore and aft and adjust the idle to 700-750 while in forward gear.

Now, after you do this, if you advance the trottle and the engine does not go back into the basic idle configuration, you may have a linkage problem at the engine or slop in the boat cable system.

The cable is always adjusted at the engine. Since this engine does not have spring loaded controls, whereever you set it is where it will stay. That said, as the cable controls get old and sloppy, they may not bring the carbs back to the same spot all the time. This is usually an indicator that you need to replace the cable controls.

John

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The basic setup is done without the engine running. You set up the carblinkage and then adjust the cable to the ball on the engine.

Next, you go to the dock, tie the boat fore and aft and adjust the idle to 700-750 while in forward gear.

Now, after you do this, if you advance the trottle and the engine does not go back into the basic idle configuration, you may have a linkage problem at the engine or slop in the boat cable system.

The cable is always adjusted at the engine. Since this engine does not have spring loaded controls, whereever you set it is where it will stay. That said, as the cable controls get old and sloppy, they may not bring the carbs back to the same spot all the time. This is usually an indicator that you need to replace the cable controls.

John

Thanks John!

Good info as always. I dont have an RPM gauge on my boat, guess it was not standard on the 87's andy tips on where to get something that will show my rpm's? Napa or any parts store?

It's raining here so a no go for today, maybe tomorrow.

john from md

Commander

I have found reasonably priced inductive tachs on ebay. Ideally, you want the small handheld type and not the larger ones that look like a 1950's radio!

I think I paid about $10 for the Suntune that I am currently using. I don't even know if they sell them in auto stores anymore since the computer controls everything the engine does. :( Hell, mine won't even run if the air filter is removed. And they call this progress. :rolleyes:

John